Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 22, 2014 * Mtn. Lion sighting Shiningwood Bay < Previous Next >

Link to this message

twidderfield

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2013 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When I was up camping/fishing in June, I spotted a Mountain Lion on the south shore of Shiningwood Bay. It was on Father's Day at about 8 p.m. The cougar was at the base of a steep rock face at the water's edge as I rounded a point into the small bay. As I trolled closer it jumped up two levels of the cliff. At first I thought it was a small deer, but then I saw the long tail. It was fawn colored. I got within 250 feet of it as it watched me from higher up. Definitely a cougar. Heard it from camp over the next two days too further east of the bay. Very distinctive screeching sound. I know I should have posted this sooner, but better late than never. Maybe some of the cabin owners on Shiningwood have spotted it since? There was a cabin on the island in the bay where I saw it. Red roof, Muskoka chairs on dock, dock faces the cliff where I saw it. Island number ecapes me at present.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1263

Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the post.
I have never seen a Cougar in Ontario, but I was backpacking in Killarney several years ago, stepped over a log laying in black muck soil and there was a single Cougar print. I thought it might have been a Lynx, but when I got home and looked it up,it was too large for that.

It would be nice to see the animal, as you have, but it is pretty rare.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

amazing sighting, you are very lucky to have seen that!
like ed, we saw a single track in mud once, on the portage out of the south end of selkirk lake. we travel with the peterson field guide to animal tracks (murie) and were able both to measure it (almost 4 inches across) and identify the shape of the central pad which is quite distinct from that of the lynx.
as you may know, cougars are not even officially acknowledged to exist in eastern n. america.
around 20 years ago i saw an item in the new liskeard paper saying that one had been shot by a farmer on the quebec side of lake temiscaming.
 Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nice !!
 Link to this message

dupuisn

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have you reported this sighting to the MNR website? The cougar is on the Ontario endangered species list. You were so very lucky to have experienced what you did :-)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home