Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Question on short trip thru Kokoko Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ramdnm

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Next Summer probably mid July I would like to take a short 3 or 4 day trip with my wife. I was thinking of putting in at the Central Access paddling up the North Arm, Camping at Witch's Bay. Next day paddling to Upper Kokoko Bay and finding a camp site or portaging to Kokoko Lake and camping. Then paddling down Kokoko Lake to Kokoko Bay and camping and returning to the Central Access.

I have a couple questions at this time. My wife is not strong and I have a back which can give me trouble (we're in our sixties). I am concerned about how hard the portage into Kokoko Lake is and the short portage is from Kokoko Lake into Kokoko Bay is. Will it be hard to find campsites on this route during the week - we'll probably arrive on a Monday.

I really want to have my wife experience Temagami, I took her to the town on our way from Maine to Minnesota - and she has let me go to Temagami with my brother and sons for several years. She likes to camp and canoe. I also keep a bottle of Temagami water in my refrig which she has put up with for years.

Bob Mills
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 35

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2013 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The north portage to Kokoko is easy, but longer.

You could do that trip in either direction. I would check the wind forecast when you arrive and decide then.
 Link to this message

ramdnm

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks shutter_speed. Another question. Do you know if is it a busy route where campsites may be in demand during the week (mid July mid week)?
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, December 2, 2013 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's peak season, and Kokoko is a popular fishing lake, but you should be able to find a campsite on one of the islands.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home