Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Permits - again < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tim_b

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 6, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Please excuse a repetitive question about camping permits from a newbie in this forum.

I had the pleasure of paddling the Temagami area a few times in the early to mid 90's. As non-residents we tried to purchase Crown Land permits before heading into the area, and on each occasion, getting someone to sell us permits was tougher than finding the most obscure and hidden portage trail! The locals basically told us not to bother with the permits.

I'm currently planning a trip into the Sugar Lake Reserve and the South Muskego and wondered what permits are needed for that area. The second part of the question is where to get any required permits. My online inquiries so far are reminiscent of my in-person attemots at permits in the nineties. I'd like to play by the rules but all info I've been able to get is vague at best.

It's possible I could drift over into the park since I often alter my planned route based on conditions. At least getting those permits seems easy enough. Maybe I should buy park permits for the entire trip even though most of it wouldn't be in the park... at least the money would go to park preservation.

Any advice is appreciated.

tim
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 893

Posted on Sunday, June 8, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Buy overnight camping permits only for when you are actually camped overnight in a park. As for the Crown land permit, though regulations say you need it, the reality is that MNR hasn't enforced it. However, starting this season there will be backcountry patrols by wardens and rangers in areas outside of the parks. Will MNR start to enforce the Crown land permit? Ask at the park office and let us know what they say.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When we booked for our May trip, the people at Finlayson Pt. PP were very helpfull. When our timing didn't jibe with their office hours, they made arrangements for us to get out permit.
 Link to this message

tim_b

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the advice. I'll check at the park.

On another note, do any of the regular paddlers know of any major changes in-and-around Lady Evelyn Lake over the last decade-plus that I should be aware of ?

Base on what I've read, some of the old camping spots that I marked on on my maps are now closed like the eskers. Other campsites to avoid? I also see mention of boat caches on some of the surrounding lakes. I don't recall seeing any boats stashed on past trips. Any other changes that I should be aware of?

Thanks again.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 896

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Virtually all campsites are still there and open. Boat caches haven't changed much. They are still at the same locations, but these aren't on the main route through Lady Evelyn Lake, which is why you probably didn't see them.
 Link to this message

tim_b

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I read in one of the official documents regarding the East Lady Evelyn Lake Conservation Reserve that some campsites, specifically those on the Eskers were offically closed to protect the eskers. Sounds like a good thing to protect them from erosion. I heard mention of a couple of others closings as well somewhere else.

I've actually travelled through some of the satellite lakes/ponds (Sugar, etc) that now list boat caches on the reserve documents and were also mentioned in some discussions here. They could've been there when I went through in the past, but I don't remember them. But my memory ain't what it used to be and it was 1992 I think.

So, it just reinforces the notion that there is no substitute for first-hand info. That's part of the fun anyhow - you won't know until you go. That's also why my itinerary is subject to change depending on current conditions. Thanks for the info. If there are any real changes of note, I'll be happy to post after I go.

Thanks again.
 Link to this message

kevin

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes Tim_b, you are right. The Esker campsites are closed on L.E. Everything else is pretty much the same. Don't know when you are planning on being there but the water was nice & high as of two weeks ago.(no trouble) Sugar & Angler get hit much harder now with the local fishing camps.(boat caches)
don't forget the bug spray! Enjoy
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 898

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's the closed campsites:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/sites- closed.htm#maps
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you're looking at the campsite neares the dunes/eskers, go around! We camped there and landed on the rocky shore. Around the other side is nice beach.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home