Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Sept route - looking for tips < Previous Next >

Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, June 9, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

August 30 - September 6
Circuit from the 20km access road on L. Temagami.

Night1 - Temagami
Night2 - Obabika
Night3 - Rest, book a tour with Alex
Night4 - Through Wakimika to Daimond
Night5 - Rest on Daimond
Night6 - Temagami
Night7 - Temagami
Night8 - Home

Any suggestions for things to do or avoid are always appreciated.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 895

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might want to cut back on time on Lake Temagami and spend more time in the quieter, remoter leg of the trip.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Instead of starting at the 20K access road, drive through Temagami and drive down the Red Squirrel road . Bumpy, but puts you in a quieter ( and less wind prone part of the lake ) .
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 161

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

X2

Consider putting in at Sandy Inlet, Camp Wannpetai and take the Canton Lakes through to Bob Lake and then head down to Obabika via Shish Kong Lake.

Your proposed Lake Temagami route will be a long paddle on big water, not my 'cup of tea'.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

So stay off L Temagami, eh? Back to the maps!

I really want to expose a couple friends to the Obabika sights, and see them for myself too. Old growth & shishkong + I haven't seen the petroglyphs or grandma'n'pa rock.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 901

Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Don't stay off the lake completely, just use for quick transit to the backcountry.
 Link to this message

rickt

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A few years back there were water taxis available for hire on L. Temagami. You might want to look into it. The taxi could transport your group & gear from L. Temagami to Obabika Inlet portage or Diamond Lake portage. It would save time on L.Temagami. I am not sure of cost or even if it still available or within your budget.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 902

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Temagami Outfitting also does L Temagami shuttles.

http://www.icanoe.ca/

Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 162

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Only the rich and famous can afford the shuttle.
It was like $9 a mile last summer before the crazy gas prices. Don't quote me on that price.
 Link to this message

rickt

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree, they are costly, but maybe the Preacher is rich and famous
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

$250
I'm not that rich and certainly not famous. Infamous mabey, but that never counts in a good way.

Back to the maps. Red Squirrel seems to be the way to go. I might opt for the Canton Lakes instead of Wakamika. Maybe go the other direction: Red Squirrel > Diamond > Wakamika > Obabika > Canton > Diamond > Red Squirrel.

I need to find Sandy Inlet on the map to see those options.

(Message edited by Preacher on June 13, 2008)
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Preacher... I HIGHLY recommend the Red Squirrel > Sandy Inlet > Ferguson Bay > North Arm > Sharp Rock Inlet> Diamond (petroglyphs are on rock face on west side up toward Lady Evelyn) >(maybe up a day into south Lady Evelyn which has a beautiful 'extended' rock campsite ~ and back to Diamond) Wakamika > Obabika > Obabika Inlet > Devil Bay > Furguson Bay loop. You will see sandy beaches, sparkling waters, rocks the size of houses, the old logging trace, an escar, an old logging camp (straight north of the campsite at the west end of Diamond across the escar), the sand of Wakimika > the Wakimika River with a couple of beaver dam step-overs and the 40' deep clear water of Obabika with fish the size of your forearm!

We did the leisurly loop in 10 days in '94, but I have been told it can be done in 7-8 days if you are on a tight schedule. However, if you want to show your friends the true pleasure of the backcountry, allow a couple extra days.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 903

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just so no one gets confused, petroglyphs are rock carvings, and pictographs are paintings or drawings. Diamond's rock art are pictographs. I used to confuse the two myself.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you, Brian, for correcting my error. The markings on Diamond are, in deed, pictographs. As always, you are on top of things on this forum.

It is truly a spiritual blessing to canoe over to these sights and think of the people that originally placed them there so many, many, many years ago. I often wonder what they might have used to make these markings that have lasted through the decades. That they are on a north facing vertical rock has preserved them, I'm sure, but still, the make up of the painting substance surely is remarkable. I wonder if the substance has ever been analized?

By the way, Preacher, the route suggested takes you down the Wakamika River, a nice easy drift if you would like to cast for northern pike ~ whch put up quite a tussel in the river grass!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 906

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The colouring comes from ochre.
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the tips. Squishing a nice 10 day trip into an 8 day trip isn't a good plan for us. At least two of the 4, not sure who the 4th will be yet, are lilly-dippers. There needs to be at least 2 camp days, preferably 3.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you start from Red Squirrel Rd, you have way more time than you need, lilydippers or not . You can do that loop in 2 days if you put your mind to it .
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I and one of my more adventurous tripping partners could. I and these guys who are awake and looking for the coffee pot at the crack of noon...well... They're lucky to get 3 hours of travel each day before calling it quits.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 307

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

preacher,
Send me a PM on OAC.

Bill
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hhhmmmm Preacher... I personally like the three hour a day paddle idea...

We rise early and well rested, strike the site and launch by 8:30 a.m. Then we paddle on what is usually calm to slightly burbling lake water for three hours or so. By then the water is gaining energy and ferocity, so we pull the canoe, set up a new camp, have a great cold lunch,nap a bit, maybe "canoddle" the shore and area around us. We have 10 day trips that are fun, relaxing, and which suit us perfectly.

You can easily do Mowat to Maple and back that way... and hardly ever deal with power waves and lack of campsites!
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well finding a fourth that would fit into our group is proving to be difficult. We three have known each other for years and that dynamic can be...competitive/aggresive. You know how it is with old friends, conversations from 20 years ago can easily resurface. Group dynamics on a trip is nothing to trifle with.

So if I have to solo and the two who have never taken the time to learn a simple J are together, big lakes are out of the picture. Travel has to be limited to <10km/day. Yeah I can do more solo, I just don't feel like it.

Any ideas? We have to rent a canoe and there isn't room for 2 canoes on my little Sunfire, so the access point matters. We're poor, so $500 fly-in doesn't work either.

We may have to wait a year for Temagami and head to APP where the lakes are smaller and the portages longer.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home