Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Wasakasina Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

panther

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry to post this again but I posted it under the wrong heading last time.
I heard tell of this lake and am thinking of a possible 6 day trip in mid to late june. Any info would be a great help e.g. put ins, portages,campsites, and of course a little fishing (Wasaksina lake Temagami )
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 572

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Panther:
Do you not have a copy of the MNR's Canoe Route Planning Map for Temagami?
The information you are asking for is shown on that map.
You should also look at Hap Wilsons book ... Canoeing and Kayaking in Temagami.Route #5 goes through Wasaksina lake and provides most of the information you are looking for.

Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 94

Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Which side are you going to come from into the lake?
From Cross Lake or via Shiningwood Bay?
There are some nice campsites on the lake (one grassy one on north shore).
I assume you're going in from Central Lake Temagami access road.
 Link to this message

panther

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Ed;
Thanks for the heads up on the canoe routes map from MNR for Temagami. I do not have it but looks like I should get one - I am from Niagara so do not have all the maps for camping up that way. It will be a first in the Temagami area.
Is this map able to be downloaded off the net somewhere or do I have to send away for it?
In my limited experience a good map is always good to have but I find the most valuable information can come from people who have actually been there.

Not sure of the route that I am taking in, had someone say: going in from Iceland Lake to Driftwood Lake and down into Wasakasina from there - short trip about 7 km but very picturesque.
Thanks again for everyones advice.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 904

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know about online but you can order the book and map (http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/tem-qt.htm) from Temagami Outfitting at http://icanoe.ca/

and the map (don't know about the book) from the park office at 705-569-3205.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 573

Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Panther: If you all, down there in Niagara, have a decent outdoor store, that sells canoes, packs tents etc.. they will likely have one of those maps for sale.If not the nearest place would be in Hamilton or maybe St. Catherines.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Panther... the Temagami Canoe Routes map is a must. Available through the website that Brian posts or at Dad's Convience Store in Temagami (on the right as you're heading into town). Put it in a gallon zip-lock bag as you head out... and you should never be lost! ~ if you can read a map!
 Link to this message

scouterfred

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was on Waskasina lake last August with my Scouts as part of a longer trip. You can read my trip report in teh archives under the imaginative title "Trip Report" (August 2007).

It's a nice spot. Some motor boat traffic from the fly-in service out of Driftwood (boats are stored at the end of the portage from Iceland to Driftwood). The site on the Island in the middle of the lake is nice, but it appears that the outfitter is sqatting on it). The island on the south shore has two campsites, and there's a nice one near the Cross Lake portage.

We're going back this year, and spending two days there.
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Panter... we are in the same neighbourhood... a few local stores that can help... Outdoors Oriented on Fourth Avenue is St. Catharines has a great selection of maps/books for all of Ontario as well as experienced assistants. Also, peninsula Press on Bunting Road in St. Catharines carries all topos and assorted maps - not canoe knowledgeable but they know their maps!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home