Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Obabika & Sturgeon River Loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

How long should I plan for this trip?

Starting at Wawiagama Lake, North on Obabika Lake, down the Obabika River, down the Sturgeon River, portage back into Wawiagama to finish.

I'm thinking four days should do it, but have never paddled the Obabika River - how many obstructions (portages/liftovers) should I expect?

I've got four days to kill this week, so I'm kicking around ideas for a short solo trip...

Thanks
Mike
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 303

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Micmac,
If you start at the gate and do the 1000mt. portage into Obabika Lake, it is about 4 to 5 hours, depending on the wind,could be shorter or longer, to get to the mouth of the river. going down river,you have one lift over then the campsite. From the river mouth to the campsite is about 2 to 2.5 hours. That part of the river was clear 2 years ago. At the campsite there is a 100mt. portage. There is a campsite portage on both sides of the river. The right side, west side, campsite is the best, old logging camp.From there you could encounter a few blow downs and beaver damn lift overs, to the Wawiagama River. I have not been past there to the Sturgeon in years. Ed may be able to help from there. From the gate to the campsite you could do in one long day and then be on the Sturgeon the next day. If you stop at the mouth of Obabika River the first day you can still be on the Sturgeon the next day.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 905

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You plan to paddle down the Obabika all the way to the Sturgeon, then paddle back upstream to Round Lake?

It won't be a solo. The blackflies and skitters will be with you.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry, I'm stuck in Toronto and not thinking clearly... (and I don't have my maps with me)

I should have said, down the Obabika River, then back into Wawiagama Lake to finish.

Is there a portage from the Obabika River into Wawiagama or is the Wawiagama river navigable upstream?

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 304

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

micmac,
With the rains of late in the area the Wawiagama River should be navigable.

Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 574

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

MicMac:
It is pretty much as Hilbilly said regarding times etc. Watch you don't go past the entrance to Wawiagama River. If you come to a blockage on the River near where you think the mouth of the Wawiagama River should have been located, then you have gone too far and you will need to backtrack upstream a few hundred meters...

The River mouth is embellished with flagging tape, so it should be hard to miss it.... but it is only a narrow creek like opening and in the summer it looks more like a drainage ditch.

This time of the year it will be easy to travel upstream to Wawiagama.

Hillbilly: You still owe me a measurement.Thanks
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 163

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I measured the complete Obabika River to be 46 kilometers which took into account the meanders. The exit to Wawiagama River comes at 38 km. It is a good days travel from Obabika Lake to Wawiagama River with a decent flow below your canoe. There are no campsites past the old logging camp at the waterfall, so get an early start. Wawiagama River is 1900 meters to the lake. It is choked with beaver debris and depending on the water level, over hanging obstructions as well.
The portage out of Wawiagama is difficult to find. Take a little scout ahead to ensure your on the right trail before you hoist your canoe.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 575

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If MicMac parks his truck in the old Goulard Lumber yard after he has moved all his gear to the start of the portage into Obabika, on the way in , he can then use the boat launch at the east end of Wawiagama and avoid the portage completly on the way out.The boat launch is in the bay immediately south of the portage location and has a beach running along it, so it is easy to identfy well out from shore.
It takes about 1 hour to travel upstream on the Wawiagama River.The beaver dams are quite small only about 1 foot in height, so you can drag over them.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 305

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

micmac,
As alscool said, "The portage out of Wawiagama is difficult to find. Take a little scout ahead to ensure your on the right trail before you hoist your canoe."
Head for the north east end of Wawiagama Lake and go through the reeds. You will then find the portage that will take you back to the Goulard Road north of the gate. Turn right at the road and you will find the gate.
As Ed said, " If MicMac parks his truck in the old Goulard Lumber yard after he has moved all his gear to the start of the portage into Obabika, on the way in , he can then use the boat launch at the east end of Wawiagama and avoid the portage completely on the way out."
You can unload your vehicle at the gate and drive to the boat launch and walk back to your gear, about 1000mt. This way you can avoid that 1000mt. portage at the end of your trip. You may also want to think about starting the same place as you did for the ceremony.
Bill
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 306

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mac,
I will send you the measurements tomorrow. Sorry, I forgot.

Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home