Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Clearwater Lake - Fry Lake - Fry Creek - Wawiagama < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neil_mcdonald

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 1, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone done or heard of this route off Obabika?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 308

Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If I remember right the portage from Obabika Lake to Clearwater was cleared a couple of years ago. I have also heard you can make it to Fry Lake. According to the Nastawgan Map the route to Wawiagama Lake was a winter route and I doubt it is passable as a summer route. The summer route by the Nastawgan Map would take you from Clearwater lake through a few small lakes and back into Obabika Lake north of Chinaman's Bay.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 908

Posted on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Several years ago a section from Keewaydin tried the route and couldn't find the portage to Clearwater to Fry. I gather it disappeared at the road. Not sure if they used it and continued on.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 313

Posted on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When I am up this year I will try and find and clear the portage from Clearwater to Fry Lakes and if I can I will also clear a portage from Clearwater south to Obabika Lake, also, with some help from our resident and expert in the area.

Bill
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 261

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

3 or 4 Keewaydin groups (younger Manitou sections) have done this route over the past 10 years. The last group through came out with more leaches that fingers and toes via Fry Creek. Very scenic though and fishing is good on Clearwater. I gather the portage is not obvious out of Clearwater, but with high water, it should be fine on Fry Creek.

(Message edited by garrett on July 14, 2008)
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 164

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Obabika property owner William Ball cleared the Clearwater portage in June 2006

We brushed, cleared, and blazed the portage from Obabika to Clearwater on Thursday. Next time some of you men are on that part of the lake, take an hour or so and check it out. That is a true Nastawgan route, through mixed boreal old growth. There are many ancient trees there, some of the oldest pines and cedars along the trail have the native seamed blazes, and wood removals, and some appear to have been made in winter, there are several feet (5í +) above the trail. We cut and moved several larger deadfalls with a chainsaw, moved some smaller ones by hand, brushed with a swing-blade. There are beaver active in the area and they create some issues, but it is cleared. It is an easy trail, three small hills and one muskeg area, but well worn. We didnít get a chance to brush and blaze the return route, but surveyed some on foot from the Clearwater side (into the 1st two of four ponds.) Iíll hit that a bit from the Obabika side near the Oldhamís camp next time, and finish her up. Iíll send some photos this week sometime.

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 318

Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Quote from alscool:
We didnít get a chance to brush and blaze the return route, but surveyed some on foot from the Clearwater side (into the 1st two of four ponds.) Iíll hit that a bit from the Obabika side near the Oldhamís camp next time, and finish her up. Iíll send some photos this week sometime.
If the weather permits I will be doing the cearwater to Fry and Little Fry, along with the portages south into Chinaman's Bay next week.
Will post a report when I get back.

Bill
 Link to this message

neil_mcdonald

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, all. This is great info.

Neil
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 912

Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Does it sound like two different routes are being sloshed around in this thread?
1. Obabika L - Clearwater L - Fry L - Fry Cr - Wawiagama L
2. Obabika L - Clearwater L - two unnamed ponds SW of Clearwater - an Obabika L bay NE of Chinaman's Bay - Obabika L

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home