Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Camping suggestions? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bogey23

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

I've been to Temagami the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed both times at a lovely sight south of the Central access road near cross bay. This year I was considering going up to Diamond lake, but reading about how busy it is is putting me off a bit. Any suggestions for Mid-late july for a week where I can have a sight in an area to do lots of day trips from(portaging is ok)? Other locations I have considered are kokoko, wasaksina/cross lake and anima nippising. Thanks
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 309

Posted on Wednesday, July 2, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Diamond can be busy but the last couple of years it has not been that busy. There are motor boats on the lake with fishermen.
You may want to try the Wakimika Triangle route.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/waki-tri. htm
You can start at Sandy Inlet (Ferguson Bay) canoe to Diamond Lake via Sharp Rock Inlet to Wakimika Lake then Obabika Lake, Obabika Inlet, Lake Temagami back to Sandy inlet or From Obabika portage to Shishkong Lake, Bob Lake the Canon Lake area back to Lake Temagami and then to Sandy Inley. Or start at the Temagami Access Road (Mine Road) and canoe to Obabika Inlet, Lake Obabika, Then you can choose how you want to return using the above suggestions in reverse. Along these suggestions you have the Old Growth Trails to wake, Pictographs to see, Petroglyphs, Spirit Rock, Old logging camps and much more.

Bill
 Link to this message

bogey23

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great, thank you.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 96

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What Bill meant to say was CANTON Lakes (for Canton township), also known as Thunderhead Route
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 310

Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Mel.

Bill
 Link to this message

bogey23

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the correction, looking forward to the trip! My first experience at temagami was landing in high wind at the quite rocky point campsite at the head of shiningwood bay just south of the Central access road.. lots of fun.
 Link to this message

ckh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bogey23 and Bill,
Bogey23: How long did you plan for the trip?
Bill: How long would you suggest for the alternate trip routes you suggested above. I'm new to the Temagami area and am planning a trip for Aug. 12 - 16.
Take care,
ckh
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 322

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ckh,
}
Quote: Bill: How long would you suggest for the alternate trip routes you suggested above. I'm new to the Temagami area and am planning a trip for Aug. 12 - 16.

You can make your trip in the same time frame as you have posted but you do need to hustle, one more day would be a better chose and allow for wind and being wind bound. The same time is needed for my suggestions. It is just that there is less wind through the CANTON Lakes, Thunderhead Route, than there is on Lake Temagami.

Bill
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 323

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bogey23
I will be on Obabika Lake from July 22 through the July 29. If you are on the Lake during this time look for a green canoe with a solo paddler. I will be staying on Ranger Point for a couple of days at least at first.

Bill
 Link to this message

bogey23

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks hillbilly.. I actually ended up going for shiningwood to wasaksina and back through cross lake for a more leisurely pace which turned out to be a good decision considering the bad weather. CKH you should plan 7 days for that trip to explore and wind delays; I wouldn't recommend it for the first time up there unless you have big water experience. I would recommend the trip I just did for a 4 day excursion..

Central access point up shiningwood bay to Wasaksina then back through cross lake and up lake temagami(or reverse depending on wind)

There is an out through the top of cross lake(northwest corner) to cross bay if you have a stiff south wind to deal with..

The narrows have a strong current to paddle through at the bottom of Temagami flowing into cross lake right now and are hard to paddle up.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home