Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Water Levels, Bugs and all that Jazz < Previous Next >

Link to this message

scouterfred

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI:

My Scouts are planning to re-do the route we did last year (See "Trip Report" from August 07). Basically that's Marten River PP through Wicksteed and upstream through Boyce, Chokecherry and the Marten River to Redwater Lakes and then Rabbit to Temagami and across Lake Temagami up the S. Tetapaga to Iceland, Driftwood, Waskasina, Cross, Temagami River, Red Cedar, and back to Marten River PP via the Marten River. We're heading out the first weekend in August and plan a leisurely two weeks.

I was just wondering about water levels (very high last year compared to 2002), bugs (we have all heard how this was supposed to be the worst bugs in thirty years, but here in SW ontario its a little below normal) and portage maintenance (the Marten River portages between Chokecherry and Redwater are in bad shape). Has anyone been out that way? (We were thinking chinsaws and dynamite but Scouts Canada, like the MOL frowns on that sort of thing). Also any other changes that we might want to know about. (As long as the Shell Station still serves those great burgers I'll be happy)

Any information would be much appreciated

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home