Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * 805 to Wawiagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pcrowley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

on May 25th of this year I viewed an email conversation on your website between your member "Jarko" and "Kim/Ed" on canoing Temagami and taking the Hwy 805 route from Sturgeon Falls. They talked about taking the 805 North towards Emerald Lake then branching off towards the gate at Wawiagama, then portaging into Obabika Lake on the west side of Tamagami. A group of us are planning on doing this the first week of August. Our plan is to head north on Obabika and do the Diamond Lake loop through the Obabika River Park, portage into Sharp Rock Inlet down to Devil's Bay portage into Obabika Inlet then portage back into Obabika Lake.
- post trek, did Jarko say how the condition of the road was ( we all have 4x4s but would it be easier to take the Temagami Central Access road from Highway 11N just south of Temagami Town and go in that way, parking at the end and paddling West to Obabika Inlet, then portaging into Obabika Lake)?
- can you camp the first night at the Wagiagama gate? (trying to time our arrival, we may have to crash the first night there).
- will there be enough water in August in the Obabika River Park to get through?
- what do you think of our route in terms of number of days?
- Our group is four canoes and one kayak (10 of us in four to five tents) I have one of those great (and dated) Temagami Canoe Route maps which shows several sites which would accomodate us - more or less?

Hey - thanks for any help you can offer.}
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 314

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have heard that the Goulard Road from the end of the 805 has been graded to the gate. You can park at the gate with a 1000mt. portage into Obabika. see link.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/Access/rou nd-lk.htm

You should have no problems with a 4x4. Before the road was graded cars and vans had some problems on the Goulard Road but 4x4's were OK.

Bill
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 317

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I hit post to soon and should have answered your questions then. But here goes:
- can you camp the first night at the Wagiagama gate? (trying to time our arrival, we may have to crash the first night there).

answer: you can camp at the old logging camp just go left just before the gate you will see a large clearing and camp there. You can also park there after unloading before the portage from the gate to Obabika at Chinaman's Bay.

- will there be enough water in August in the Obabika River Park to get through?

answer: The Obabika River is always high enough to canoe but the Wawiagama River can be low. There has been enough water, rain this year to make the Wawiagama River easily passable unless there is no rain for the next month.

- what do you think of our route in terms of number of days?

answer:
Day 1 drive and camp at the old logging camp near the gate.
Day 2 Wakimika Lake at the north end and camp on beach site.
Day 3 Diamond lake east end for sure, could even be in Lake Temagami past Sharp Rock.
Day 4 Obabika inlet or Obabika Lake.
Day 5 back to vehicles.
This will give you no site seeing time. I hope you have a couple of days to spend extra.
You could stop for the night and walk the Old Growth Trails at the north end of Obabika Lake, see the old logging Camp near the south end of Diamond Lake and then maybe walk the trail to the top of Ferguson Mountain on Lake Temagami.
This trip of yours could be done in 5 days but it would be better to do in 7 or 8.

Bill}
 Link to this message

stillwater

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"...the Goulard Road from the end of the 805 has been graded to the gate."

You heard wrong, unless they meant graded with an egg-beater. Having taken the backroads virginity of my Suzuki on this road over the August long weekend, I can assure you that nothing less than a high-clearance 4WD/AWD vehicle should go down Goulard...or the last part of 805 for that matter.

We actually based our trip around this report, telling two friends in a Hyundai Accent that it was recently redone and they should drive up Goulard and meet us on a site at Obabika, since they could only leave the day after we did. Apparently it was an interesting ride.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 329

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

stillwater,
At the time of my post I was misinformed that it was graded. The large rocks have been removed from the road. I have seen Honda Civics and VW Rabbits make it along the Goulard Rd. with no problem and I have also seen the same vehicles but different drivers have problems along the road. It all depends on the driver and the load they are carrying. I was on it at the end on July and it was the best I have seen it for about 5 years and I am up there twice a year.

Bill
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, September 5, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have JUST returned from 8 wonderful days on Obabika Lake... will file a trip report later, but as to the Goulard Road, it was bumpy but do-able.

I rented a Dodge Calibre, which sits a little higher than the average economy car - however it is not considered to be 4WD/AWD. I drove slowly and carefully, using basic visual cues as to whether the car would clear rocks in the road. It comes down to the ability and agility of the driver... I had to lean up and over the steering wheel many times to see the rocks going under the front end... also wanted to be able to see over the top of a hill before I went down the other side.

There are lots of camps along the better parts of the road and not a lot of people sightings on the roughest parts. Did meet up with a few atv's hauling boats back to camp from what they called Round Lake. I think they were referring to Wawiagami Lake.

It was actually a better drive than I expected. We left the hotel in Sturgeon Falls around 9am, got to the Logging Camp around noon - guess the bouncing on the road scambled my brains a bit as I didn't seem to register where the gate was! We decided to spend a night in the logging camp parking lot area (where we saw two small, low riding vehicles of an older vintage) as it was a cloudy rain possible day.

The ride out seemed easier, but it always seems that way when you know what to expect... and of course the best of the road comes at the end!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home