Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Temagami newbie < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ckh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,
I was hoping to get some advice from all you folk experienced with the Temagami area:

My brother-in-law and I are heading up to Temagami Aug. 11, sleeping over, and then putting in August 12. We are loooking to camp about 4 nights, making for a 5 day trip. I thought that for our first time we might just canoe into Diamond and then spend a couple of days exploring Diamond, south Lady Evelyn, and Wakima (maybe a bit of Obabika if time permits). I understand from Hap Wilson's book that the whole loop is a 4-6 day trip, and that it is also one of the busiest routes in the area. We do like to get a little way away from crowds, and we don't mind portaging too much (especially if it is not too much over 2 km -- we usually do 2 trips/portage). So, if you have some other suggestions please feel free to recommend. We would like to be able to stay in at least one place for 2 nights.

If we did take the route I mentioned, would you recommend putting in at the top of Ferguson Bay in the north arm, or from the cetral Temagami Lake access point? I understand the first portage from the north arm is an "interesting" one (i.e., steep and rugged), but is it still preferable to the 2-3 hours of extra paddling needed to come from the central access point?

Just so you know, we have done a number of multiple day trips in Algonquin, the longest lasting 7 days from Canoe Lake to Cedar Lake (at the north end of the park). We are basically flat water canoeists (i.e., have not taken any white water instruction). Map and compass skills are pretty good (my brother-in-law was a bush pilot in N. Ont. for awhile so his skills are a little better than mine). This year I will also have a satelite phone and a GPS unit (that I'm still getting familiar with but should at the very least be able to pinpoint our position if needed).

I currently have the Temagami Canoed Waters map and Hap Wilson's book. I will also pick up topo maps for the area(s) we plan to canoe in. But, any trip or other advice either of you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long message, especially as this is my first post.

Thanks and take care,
ckh
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 321

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ckh,
Starting at Ferguson Bay is a good starting point. The 825mt. Napoleon portage is not that bad. With your time frame and if you want to go through Wakimika and into Obabika you will not have time to go into the South Lady Evelyn. I do not know if you want to go into the southern part of Lady Evelyn Lake or go to the South Channel Lady Evelyn River. Either way you would not be able time wise to go to Wakimika or Obabika. From Ferguson Bay (Sandy Inlet) to Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika and back to Ferguson Bay via Obabika Inlet and Lake Temagami is a 5 day trip unless you push yourselves. I do not know where you are coming from but if you drive up and can get on the water and make it to Sharp Rock inlet or at least make it past Napoleon portage on day one you could be able to do your trip on schedule.

Bill
 Link to this message

ckh

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again Bill,
I will certainly take all that into consideration when making my final destination decisions.
ckh
 Link to this message

ckh

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh one other thing.
As someone else asked on another post, how busy is "busy"? Do you think there will be any difficulty finding sites to camp at on Diamond at this time of year (Aug. 12-16)?
Thanks again,
ckh
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 324

Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are plenty of sites on Diamond Lake, no problem getting a site. As for Wakimika Lake you should not have any problem either. There are only 6 sites and at any given time I would say only one or two are occupied. If you make it to Obabika Lake, again no problem with sites, there are 16 sites in the northern half. The Canton Lakes, Thunderhead route you would be lucky to see another group. Lake Temagami from the Obabika Inlet to Ferguson Bay or From the Thunderhead route there are plenty of sites. As for busy by seeing fisherman in motor boats there are many in Lake Temagami and Diamond Lake. They do not usually camp at sites. Houseboats can also be seen in the northern part of Lake Temagami.

Bill

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home