Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Hangstone to cross lakes? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

markthesplasher

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am considering a loop from Lake T at Shiningwood Bay end, over to Jumping Caribou, down to Hangstone and south, back up Cross Lake. The map disappears below Hangstone and Inset C is the bottom of Cross Lake S end, so no help. Is there a way across shown on another map? Reasonably easy to do? Worth doing or back into civilization? and since I'm newbie to the mighty Temagami, and maps are so different in scale, does that sound like a reasonable 6-7 day loop for intermediate at best trippers? The parts I can trace seem like decent distances and time targets (5-6 hours a day).
Thanks for any and all help, and blame Hillbilly if the question is a pain in the butt.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 920

Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Suggest you get Hap Wilson's "Canoeing, Kayaking & Hiking Temagami." Route 5 covers the route you are looking at.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Don't plan to camp on Hangstone unless someone has cleaned up the island site. Was through there about 5 years ago and it was absolutely trashed (there is a hunt & fish camp at the north end of the lake who seemed like the culprit as similar furniture was found at both places). We opted for the grassy clearing at the southwest end of the lake, this was flat but buggy, and by no means a nice site.

This route is not a particularly nice one compared to others in Temagami. Too close to the edge of civilization and Hwy 11.
 Link to this message

markthesplasher

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks guys. after reading route 5, looking at the maps and a few other's thoughts similar to Andrew's, I decided this wasn't what I wanted at all. the good features are easily outweighed by the negatives, and am looking more inland now. I really appreciate all the comments.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home