Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Trip route advice? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

stillwater

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Two of us (and my lab) are planning to head up over the August long weekend, Thursday night - Monday afternoon. I guided for a summer in Temag and my friend has tripped through there too so we know some of the standard routes and sites pretty well.

Thus we're looking for something at least a bit different if possible; preferably without TOO many crowds or motorboats, big lake travel is not ideal but bearable, rivers/WW is ok if the levels are good and not too marshy/buggy, portages fine as long as we're not totally bushwhacking...more just cause 3 days doesn't leave too much time to get lost. :-)

Had originally contemplated the 805 into base of Obabika for the scenery and then just some day trips around there, but noticed a possible overnight push loop off Obabika though the back of the old growth to Bob and then either through Small or straight north to Diamond then back through Wakimika. Haps old edition said it was a bit rough then, any better now?

Anther possibility is the access road to Gamble then the south end of Lady Evelyn River and looping back east over through Smoothwater (route 19 I think?)...but again, it sounds a bit sketchy in parts for late summer, unless more recently cleared.

We'd also be up to take a wild card route so if anyone has an idea on a 50-80km loops with maybe 4-8km of portaging, a new path would always be appreciated...flipped through some maps and books but the time/distance estimates are always subjective so advice from those who have been through in the last few years would be appreciated!

Ryan
ryanpub*removeme*@mailcan.com

PS I do have a 4WD and bumpy access roads don't scare me...hint hint. ;)

(Message edited by stillwater on July 23, 2008)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home