Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through September 5, 2008 * Smoothwater-Sturgeon-Florence < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tjboadwa

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there Ottertooth thread readers and writers. I often visit myccr for route advice and information, but since this years summer trip is in the Temagami area I thought I'd post here. We'll be starting our trip somewhere about the end of July and plan on going in the Beauty lake access road. We'll loop down into Smoothwater, then into Scarecrow and accross into Solace lake, to Forance, up the South Lady Ev. to Whitemud lake. We'll be in for about 10 days, and if we make good progreass we'll turn east at Duff lake and go up the Lady Ev and accross through Sunnywater.

Does anyone have any advice to offer regarding this route? I know Hap's book suggests that the South Lady Ev to be difficult close to Whitemud during the summer months. But I talked to an outfitter the other day and they seemed to think that there is lots of water this year and that this route will be OK.

Lastly, I usually bring lake trout fishing gear for trips that have lake trout on them. Should I bother with this trip, or would it be best that I shed the extra 5-7lbs that will come along for the tough portages?

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 923

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, the water is extremely high, so if there was a good year to do the S. Lady E upstream from Florence, this would be it. Though I've never done this section between Florence and Whitemud.

The route as a whole will have lots of portaging though. Are you going across to Solace through Regan, or down the Sturgeon?
 Link to this message

tjboadwa

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We were planning on going down the Sturgeon and then accross.
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Smoothwater = good lake trout if you have the time...
 Link to this message

mycocanoer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 5, 2008 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sturgeon has very high water for this time of year so be careful of the rapids. Even lining some of them proved treacherous. I was on the river last week. Also, make sure you make the sidetrek up to the fire tower on Ishpatina Ridge. You will not regret it. A wonderful view.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home