Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Temagami to Nipissing via Temagami/Sturgeon River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

eagleye

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good evening folks. I would like to thank you in advance for your efforts on this site. I have been reviewing its content for some time and should have posted this request in June.

A friend and I have planned to depart on this adventure next Monday (July 28, 2008). We expect it to take 5-7 days based on our past canoeing experiences. We have reviewed topographic maps, satelite images and Hap Wilson's notes on the Temagami River and are familiar with the Sturgeon River from River Valley to Lake Nipissing. However, I am concerned that the wet summer has produced unusually high water for this time of year. After reading about the abondoned canoe along the Sturgeon River I feel compelled to seek your advice as a final measure.

While we have had some experience with CI and CII WW, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts regarding Hap's classifications for the Temagami River section of this trip. Should we expect CI's to look more like CII's, CII's like CIII's etc. etc.?

Are the portages along this route in good condition? Easily observed upon approach?

Do you have any recommendations regarding the Temagami Lake to Red Lake portion? For example, is it prudent to put in off of Red Squirrel Road or right in town?

Any last minute suggestions regarding this route would be appreciated. We will be travelling tandem in a red Penobscot 16 with a North Water spraydeck.
 Link to this message

eagleye

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good morning folks. Apparently I was up too late last night. I meant to suggest the Temagami Lake access road south of Temagami, not Red Squirrel Road north of town.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 926

Posted on Friday, August 1, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have only done the Sturgeon down to Kelly's farm, so can't help you with anything below there. Few people that I know have done the Sturgeon farther south where you are going.

Someone who has done the Temagami River this summer may be able to help with that.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home