Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Condition of Red Squirrel Road - Sandy Inlet??? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ckh

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi folks,
Can anyone give me an update on the condition of Red Squirrel Road to the access point at Sandy Inlet. It's my first tie into the Temagami area, and I heard that I would not want to take a Honda Civic on it due to large potholes, washboards, etc. I don't actually drive a Civic, but something of approximately the same size. A couole of years ago I had to replace the bearings on my other car due to a rough access point, and seeing as how I just had the transmission rebuilt on this one, I don't need any other major expenses right now.

If this access road is too rough, I may just forget about Diamond Lake, take the mid-access point and go south into Cross Lake, etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

ojig

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Red Squirrel road itself is in pretty good shape since it was resurfaced by the forest industry over the last couple of years. I don't think your small car will bottom out. As for the parking lot at Wanapitei that is where you may scuff the axles. Wheel bearings wear out just like every other part of a car, and I have never heard of rough roads impacting bearings. Wheels go round and bearings wear out.
 Link to this message

ckh

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback Ojig. Good news about the road, but I may just opt for the central access point and a more southerly route into Cross and Wasaksina this year anyhow. I understand it's pretty down that way also.
Take care.
ckh

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home