Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Smoothwater, Florence, Scarecrow Trip Advice < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Later this month our group of four will be taking a trip to the Temagami Area. I have Hap Wilson's Temagami Guidebook and Map along with topo maps.
We plan to access at Montreal River via Beauty Lake Rd and travel south to Smoothwater Lake and down the South Lady Evelyn River to Florence Lake. Thru Bluesucker Lake to Solace, Reagan, Hamlow, and Scarecrow Lakes (Ishpatina Ridge). Then returning to Smoothwater and Lady Dufferin Lakes.
How many days should we allow for this trip (are 8 too ambitious)? Any advice, general or specific, would be very helpful. Thank you very much.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 326

Posted on Sunday, August 3, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

gunney,
I my opinion you should not have any problem with doing the loop in 8 days. Depending on when day one starts. If driving is day one and day 8 then it would be a 6 day trip.
If day one is at the access on the Montreal then you should be able to make a campsite just north of Florence Lake, depending on weather and canoe experience. Then Florence lake and about 1/2 way through the Solace P.P. Solace to Scarecrow on day 3. Ishpatina on day 4 and to Smoothwater on day 5 and back to vehicles on day 6. This all depends on experience, weather and ability. With that you could take a couple of days off in between to fish or just not canoe as long each day.

Bill
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 928

Posted on Monday, August 4, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Depending on experience, weather, and ability, as hillbilly says, there could be some long days. You may need a little extra time looking for portages between Apex and Florence, and between Solace and Hamlow, as they are not well used routes. I suggest using this map for the latter.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/solace-ham low.htm
I just did this route last month and updated the notes on the map. I had lunch on Solace and got to Hamlow by eight. And that was one-tripping the portages.

And the Hamlow campsite is no reward. If I did it again I would stay on Solace. There are plenty of opportunities on the rocky islands in the centre of this nice lake. From there I would go to Scarecrow. Still a long day though.

Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, August 9, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I lead a group through Hamlow-Solace crossover 2 weeks ago and definately concur with Brian as to the trip being a rough one. We climbed Ishpantina in the morning then set out and just missed making to it to Solace by nightfall. As we slept on the portage I can't attest as to the quality of the site on Einar but would definately suggest if you are moving decently you should be able to do scarecrow to solace in a day.

We did manage to take some time and do some clearing (especially on the Biscuit lake portages) so you should hopefully the way a little less like bushwhacking. You should definitely print out a copy of Brian's map (thanks again for 2nd year in a row) as it is a huge help. Having come through this section in the opposite direction last summer it seems to be easier to spot the portages coming from Hamlow but, all-in-all it's a great "off the beaten path" route and I'm sure you'll enjoy the slog.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 935

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for doing some clearing. My only regret was that I did not have anything to mark those obscured landings.

Did you run into any ticket agents?
 Link to this message

ramah_tripper

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Having run this last year I also fully intended to bring some trail tape with me but, it got left out in the last minute shuffle. I actually did run into two of our friendly rangers, with an over filled boat of &%^$ they were pulling off of a "site" on smoothwater (I think).

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home