Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Fly-in Canoe Out (Tupper-Obabika-Temagami) < Previous Next >

Link to this message

doug_h

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Greetings; I'm new to the forum, but not to Temagami. I've (Liesure Island) houseboated a large percentage of Temagami with my family over the years. Canoeing, however is my love. After a lifetime of Algonquin & Killarney Parks, I want more canoeing in Temagami.

I have a weakness for cedar strip. I have built a "Kipawa" canoe ( www.greenval.com ) and an "Endeavour" kayak ( www.bearmountainboats.com ).

The trip I'd like to take:
-Tupper Lake & Maple Mountain climb (fly-in, via Lakeland Airways ?)
-Hobart Lake
-Sucker Gut Lake
-Willow Island Lake
-Diamond Lake
-Wakimika Lake
-Obabika Lake & Inlet (Spirit Rock & Old Growth)
-Devil Bay
-Kokoko Lake & Inlet
-Spanning Bay
-McLaren Lake
-Command Lake
-Hay Lake
-Northeast Arm
-Temagami

I want to depart and arrive in Temagami. (I have family there).

It would be a dad & lad trip. A 17 year old.

Want to bring my cedar strip Kipawa canoe. ? Does the float plane do any damage to my pampered canoe? Is Lakeland Airway the way to fly?

I want to stay away from rapids, with the stripper.

I'd like to do this in a week? I want a non-rushed trip, about 4 hours of paddleing per day. Is one week reasonable at that pace?

Are there any must see sites that I am missing? waterfalls? Landscapes? Rocks? etc.

Route alternatives?

All the best,
Doug
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 130

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doug:
I can't comment on the whole trip, but parts of it.
I think that Lakeland is the only service available from Temagami.
I am not sure if canoes can still be carried on floats. I seem to recall that I read something recently about Transport Canada not allowing this anymore, but I may be wrong, so I would contact Lakeland directly.

Let's assume that you can land in Tupper and do Maple Mountain in an afternoon and get back to your canoe. There is only one site on Tupper and it may be taken, so you may have to go to Hobart to camp for the evening. It would be best if you left Temagami early in the morning, so that you could get a site earlier in the day rather than later.( busy route)

You should be able to go from Hobart to Willow in at least 4 hours if you don't have a head wind. But you don't specify if you are going to go down Willow and into Diamond using the 4k portage or go into Lady Evelyn using the portage cross over in the North part of Willow to get to Lady Evelyn.This route would be preferable as the 4k portage is not a nice one. At any rate, with a bit of extra effort you could make it into Lady Evelyn in 1 day from Hobart.

From the South end of Lady Evelyn you should be able to cross into Diamond and get to the West end of Diamond in 4 and a bit hours. From there you can make the North end of Obabika in one day, perhaps a bit more than 4 hours though.

I would plan to stay on Obabika for a full day to visit the old growth and the Spirit Rock.

Leaving the North end of Obabika and going through the Obabika inlet portage and moving over towards the Devil Bay portage will take you at least 4 hours. If there are light winds from the South.
Through the Devil Bay Portage and into Koko and Spawning would take another 4 hours.From there I can't comment but I think you have used up most of a week and now have to get back to Temagami.So I think you have to do more paddling each day.Also you may wish to change your route and make the last part to Temagami more direct.
I think that 6 to 8 hour paddling days will work better for this trip and let you finish it in the time you have allowed.

Perhaps others have some thoughts.
Ed.

Link to this message

irishfield

Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed..on external load carrying the exact opposite is now true with TC. As long as you have done a solo proving flight you can carry anything external on a float plane with passengers on board. There are actually two outfits on the lake, but Lakeland is the only road accessible base. Their Beaver and C185 run steady each day with canoes strapped to the side. I know because I just bought the West end of Island 30 (4 or so out from the town dock) in September and am also a pilot. The lake, campsite and Canoe route maps are available very cheaply by sending a cheque to the Township office info available here
http://www.temagamivacation.com/purchmap.htm
I got all mine from them within 10 days of sending my cheque. Can't help with the campsite selection...but my 16 to 21 year old children sure plan to find some of them this coming summer!

Cheers,
Wayne..the new guy on the lake!
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 7:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good Morning Doug

I am planning a very similar trip this year after doing one in that area last year. I booked with Lakeland last year and was very satisfied with their service. This year we have booked a flight into Hobart on the Beaver for a cost of $366 from Temagami Village. I think if you have a 17 foot or longer canoe you must take the Beaver, which is more $$ than the Cessna 185.

I am planning a total of 5 nights out as follows:

Fly to Hobart/Tupper in afternoon

first 2 nights - Hobart (climb maple mtn- see earlier posts)

3rd night - Lady E - south end via Willow Island portage (as I recall from last year the eastern of these 2 portages was very swampy and unpleasant)

4th night - Wakamika/Obabika via Diamond Lake

5th night - NW arm lake Temagami

6th day - back to Temagami Village via NE arm.

I am planning 1/2 nights in reserve in case of wind, laziness etc.

I have not done the route from Diamond - Wakanika-Obabika-Temagami for many years, but it seems that more people are using this section now so the portages should be in good shape. Perhaps someone else can comment on this section.

(Message edited by blitz_boy on November 21, 2004)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 132

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Irishfield:
Thanks for clarifying that. I read an article back in the spring that Transport Canada was discussing some kind of retrograde move on canoes strapped to floats, but then I did not hear anything more about it. I am glad that didn't happen as it would have put a dent in canoeing.

The canoe route planning map is published by mnr and is also readily available from most outdoor stores. The camp sites are marked on the map.
Ed.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, I'm just glad to see that the canoers appreciate and are using the services of the airplane! Gives us one more group of people supporting us.... during the land use access review going on this fall and winter! I sure don't want to see an end to my being able to drop in on some of the land locked lakes for some prime fly fishing!! :o))

The town office seems to be the cheapest place to aquire the maps and the price stated includes all taxes and the postage to send them to you. Not a real issue if you are canoeing...but another outfit by the name of adventure maps has some really nice plastic laminated maps of most of the navigatable lakes showing depths and where to fish. www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca

Wayne
 Link to this message

doug_h

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds like the trip will be more that a week if I only want to paddle about 4-5 hours per day?

Got a great reply letter back from John Salo (MNR) concerning my route.

Another map out there (maybe the best) is the "Adventure Map" from Chrismar -Temagami 1 (Northeast) www.chrismar.com . A second Lake Temagami map is due out this spring.

Any other must see places, on my route?

Thanks.

Doug

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 133

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 6:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Doug:
I think that if you were to paddle for more hours each day you would have no problem doing the trip you proposed.
If you are going in the summer,July early August, you will have lots of daylight, so you could take a break mid day for a lengthy lunch and then paddle on in the afternoon and arrive at a campsite well before dark.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 134

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 6:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wayne: Are you offering charter flights around Temagami?
Ed.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 135

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Blitz:
The portages from Diamond through Wakimika and Obabika into Temagami are all well used and in good shape. You may experience some problems on the Wakimika river if the beavers have been busy, as they usually are,necessitating that you get out and drag over a few of their construction efforts.

I don't recall the portages from Sucker Gut into the bottom of Lady Evelyn being particularly difficult. There are a few mucky spots on the eastern portage back into the Lady, but these should present no problem to a canoeist.

Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 11:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

QUOTE:Wayne: Are you offering charter flights around Temagami?
Ed.

NO Ed. Strictly private recreational use. We will be staying up there May to Oct and I will be flying back and forth every couple of weeks to check on businesses at this end ie: I will be there almost full time and making a quick trip every couple weeks home to Penetang when I need to :o). If you're paddling by drop in to say hello! Island 30-4 (west end of the Island..right across the channel from site #11 in Finlayson Point)
 Link to this message

dgpile

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 8:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Willow Island to Lower Lady Evelyn portages are generally fine. The western one is a bit longer than marked as the western end of it leading away from Willow Island Lake was rerouted a few years ago.

The eastern portage from the small lake to Lady E is the one that can be wet but it is generally in good shape other than the very western end. There are usually several trails through the clumpy grass even when the conditions are dry.

I would not worry about those trails.

-Jester
 Link to this message

solopaddler

Posted on Wednesday, March 9, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Doug,I have a pencilled in trip like yours also. I have done alot of solotrips into the area but last couple including one from Mowats to Maple Mtn were hampered and aborted due to high winds out of the west. This as you asked for would be only the only main advice; is watch weather and its sudden and drastic changes in the area around Maple mtn that I have seen first hand. At least your trip goes mostly west to east. My thinking also with fly in. I may go into Mcpherson again,(see link on temagami page re last major fire in 1992) or follow your trip. I have been away from area and this site for a year or so and just returned last fall with my son's first canoe trip at 16 mths old from Sandy inlet to the native Pictographs on N Diamond lk. a must see as you paddle down from Lady Ev. portage. (e mail me and will give exact place) It was 38 km and a one day in and out trip for the 3 of us, one that 2/3rds of day was flat calm, the last 1/3 was horrific t- storms that approched out of "no where" just as we headed back threw Sharp rock. Diamond would be a place I have had several encounters with high winds, harsh severe t storms. Be prepared to take cover fast and stay on the eastern end and paddle west in a.m. Other must sees are as mentioned by others, "old growth and spirit rock, as well I payed a visit to Alex at his cabin at the mouth of Obabika river in Obabika. I was wind bound there with south wind for one day..what knowledge I came away with after that visit. Any way send me an e mail if I can help with a great trip plan.

(Message edited by solopaddler on March 9, 2005)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home