Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Water Levels < Previous Next >

Link to this message

estulin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Planning an 8-day trip next week in the Smoothwater Lake region.
Is the Whitemud Lake to Florence Lake via South Lake passable this time a year?
I know in most years it is not but with all the rain we've had, is it a possibility this year.
 Link to this message

gunney

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are you referring to the South Lady Evelyn River?

I paddled the section from Smoothwater Lake to Florence Lake via Apex, Whitemud, and the South Lady Evelyn on August 9. It was one of the longer days of our trip.
The water level is high enough for adequete passage. Be prepared for a great number of liftovers, many small fallen logs, a few larger logs, and at least a dozen beaver dams. The passage is also quite twisty in many sections...I'm sure I came face to face with my bow partner on a number of occasions! We were able to run one rocky section and lined another narrow bouldered section. (Many thanks to those who cleared boulders making this possible. Please take a few minutes to toss a few boulders aside to maintain this section.) It helps a lot if your bow partner is really good with a bow rudder stroke.
We ended our day at the 2nd site beyond the last portage and before the junction of the Florence River.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home