Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Portages from Willow Island to Lady E < Previous Next >

Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a question about the relative time to use the 2 portages between Willow Island L and Lady E south end. When coming from Hobart last year we used these portages as Kevin Callan had stated they were the quickest way to get to the south end of Lady E. Has anyone gone around thru the N end of Sucker Gut into the north part of Lady E and down? I think this would probably take longer but would aviod the second portage, which is in bad shape. I guess the time on Lady E depends on the wind direction.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 137

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 8:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This past Spring I was camped on the long point site on the West side of Lady Evelyn about 1/2 way up. I left there and paddled up the lake and into Sucker Gut and camped on the Island site about 1km from Franks Falls. That took me about 7 hours, solo in a light headwind going up the LE.
I went this way in the Spring, because I had lots of time, stopped along the way a few times and because I had not been on the upper LE in about 20 years, I was curious about what was new on the lake.

But, the quickest way to do this is through the 2 portages.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 51

Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The second portage into SuckerGut is a little wet towards the end as it follows a stream bed. There are also a couple of side trails near the end that I helped wear in

Definately the way to go if you are looking to save time.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 7:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback. We may try the northern route if we have enough time. I have not been in the north end of Lady Evelyn for 20 years either!!
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed... don't you have a significant someone to share these trips with... or are you one who must be out there answering your own questions? I am curious, also, of what you found 'new' on the lake for it is one of which I was lucky enough to float upon some 30 years ago. What did you find after 20 years on the western side of LE that we should look for?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 8:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My wife canoed with me for many years, but has not been out now since our last family trip, down the White River in 1992. I don't think she is interested in going on my early spring trips, but may accompany me this summer on a lilly dipper.

My oldest daughter canoes with me from time to time and is hoping to do another Northern river with me sometime in the next few years.

As to Lady Evelyn, there was at least one new "cottage" ( better word might be mansion ) equipped with a plane, a plane pad and ramp out of the lake, a backhoe to rearrange the local landscape on the island and to lift the massive dock structure in and out of the water.

There were also a few new cabins along the way.

Other than that the lake looks much like it did many years ago. I did not go into the East part.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone used the 4 km portage from the south part of Willow Island L/Lady Evelyn R to Diamond Lake? I wonder if this is a suitable alternate.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 299

Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Blitz, the Diamond Two-Miler is a relatively flat, well used route. If you don't mind long walks it is a good alternative.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 5:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the feedback Brian. I may give it a try.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 54

Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

In the spring or during periods of lots of rain the trail can be really wet and you have to negoitate the side hills along side the trail. Definately not a portage for sandels.
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 71

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yup, the Willow-Island 4 km portage has lot's of mud if it's rained recently. The reason for this is that the portage (for most of the way) follows (is) an old stream bed. I found that when heading South, until the mudflats on Diamond, the muck throughout the portage is not too deep and has solid footing, if you don't mind wading through a little trail pepper. Sometimes using the side trails around the muck is more challenging that just going right through the wet stuff. In wet years, you can pole your way through the mud-flats at the end (on the Diamond-side) and bypass 250-300 yards of the portage.

Great exercise, if that's what you're after. :-)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home