Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Chiniguchi Portage Condition < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 581

Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone recently travelled from the lower part of Maskinonge Lake into Outlet Bay on Kukagami Lake via Carafel Creek and Lake?

What are the state of the portages through there?

Is that the easiest route or would it be better to travel from Matagamasi into Gold,Colin Scott Lake and into Donald and then Kukagami or from the north end of Maskinonge travel into Triangle,Potvin and then Donald and into Kukagami?

All 3 routes are shown on the Craig MacDonald Map, but what one is the best (most easily travelled)?

Thank you for any suggestions offered.

Link to this message

erhard

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why not give Viki a call, at Kukagami Lodge. She travels occasionally over there.
 Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed,

I was through there with my son and nephew in July 03 and portages were all in place and well cleared. Took us about five hours to go from Maskinonge to Kukagami.

The route through Colin Scott and the north end of Donald is strikingly pretty and not very difficult. I've been through here several times and always like to linger.

I travelled the Potvin route in Aug 06 and found the six mostly short portages easily enough. This route is not too difficult and quite scenic. Watch for a bumper crop of poison ivy that crosses the trail near the upper end of the first portage out of Maskinonge!

All in all, rating them from easiest to hardest, I'd place them at 1.Colin Scott, 2.Potvin, and 3.Carafel Creek.

If you need more details on any of these, feel free to pm me.

DoubleBend

Link to this message

doublebend

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oops! I should revise my previous post. On the Colin Scott route I wasn't taking into account the portion up Maskinonge and over to Mattagamasi. That would make this the longest of the three by far, but easily the most scenic, making the Potvin route the easiest.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 583

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Doublebend and Erhard:
I wasn't sure if there was much traffic through there, but it seems that all of the routes are open and usable.
I am going to go in via shuttle to Matagamasi, leaving our vehicles on Kukagami. Travel up Matagamasi to Colin Scott and into Donald then into Kukagami. My companion on this trip does not love portaging, the way I do, so this should work out better for him.It will be a lazy trip with lot's of time to explore, fish etc... I will save the Carafel Creek and Potvin routes for a future Spring solo trip(s).
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 141

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

FYI
In 1982 I did a contract for the MOE water sampling 250 lakes in NE Ontario, Donald lake at that time was the clearest, also very dead, remember acid rain.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 584

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So Bushpilot, I should leave my fishing rod at home?
I was in through Karl and Edna in May, 2007 and the locals were catching some big pike. It was that week prior to the Pickerel season opening, so I am not sure if those lakes had any Pickerel in them.
But thanks for the reminder..... I had almost forgotten about Inco's gift to the Sudbury area.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ed, did the same trip in July in 3 nights, had to be one of the most relaxed trips I've done. Donald Lake has Lake Trout but they'd be deep this time of year. We caught some nice bass and walleye in Kukagami. A nice touch on the trip is having a cold beer at Sportsman Lodge when you finish the trip
The port out of Donald into Kukagami is actually in the other corner of the bay than what's on the 1:50000 for the area. Cheers
Sid
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 585

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Smokey:
I am embarrassed to say that we have several nights to do this small jaunt. And it is soo... laid back that I am going to find the space for several cans of liquid stuff and other concoctions... but I am also sure that we will have time to have a few cold one's at the local watering hole on Kukagami as well.

The port location out of Donald is a concern.

The Nastawgan Map shows 2 ports out of Donald into Kukagami. A long north one which probably doesn't exist anymore and a second one further south west, that is also shown on the Topo Map.If I understand you correctly the one shown on the Topo Map starts about 100m to the NW of where it is shown on the Topo.
Is that correct?
Thanks for the heads up.....
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, that's correct, it's easy to see as there is (was?) a boat stashed there. There is a port into the small lake on the northwest side of Donald - Kettyle Lake - nice little side trip, pretty lake if you have the time. The ports are all in good shape through the route you have planned - enjoy!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 940

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, consider taking the little portage around the Mattagamasi dam and camping at the first portage below the dam on the Chiniguchi River. Gorgeous site by the falls. And all the work is the dam portage. No current paddling back up to the dam.

When camping on Donald stay on one of the campsites around the upper basin.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 586

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again Canoedog.Going in there might fill in part of a day.
Brian, I think I know that site.I passed by it in May 2007, coming from Maskinonge through Edna and Karl. I recall it being a nice site with a fireplace up against a very large boulder.The drop pool in there is very scenic.... But, I was in a hurry and didn't stay.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed
We (Friends of Chiniguchi) cleared all the portages between Kukagami Lake and Maskinonge in 2006.
All the other portages in the area are in excellent condition.
Another route to consider is the crossover route between Maskinonge and Donald Lk through Potvin Lk - one of my personal favorites.

Mike
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 587

Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Mike:
I think I will save the crossover route for a solo trip sometime.Nice to know that it is in decent shape.
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, so is the Chiniguchi part of the Temagami area? My son (15) and I are planning to do the Kevin Callan suggested route over Thanksgiving. It shouldn't be too cold or crowded by that point do you think?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 588

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think it will be crowded... but it could be cold.You could check on the Weather Network to get an idea about historical temperatures for the area at that time.
The Chiniguchi area shows up on the Craig MacDonald "Historical Map of Temnagami" so he must have thought that it is a part of Temagami.
Others here may disagree with that concept.

Link to this message

rossclan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did that Chiniguchi loop with my son in August 2006 and it was a great trip. Some great sites on Chiniguchi. Not very crowded except for Wolf Lake where a lot of people go direct from Matt and stay put. Did it counter clockwise. My experience with Thanksgiving weekend is that weather is a bit of a gamble.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home