Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Maple Mountain from the North West? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello,

Looking at topos and wondering something here about getting to Maple Mountain via the following route:

Put in from Beauty Lake Road, get into the Makobi, over to Grey's Lake, then over to an unnamed triangular lake, to FrogFly lake. This would put me on the West base of MM. Anyone travelled this way before? Is there a trail to the summit from FrogFly or either of the two smaller ponds connected to it? I have heard rumours of a path from the north end of MM...

Any help would be highly appreciated - Looking to return to MM in a few weeks and wondered if I could do it another route for a change of scenery and some exploration.

Thanks!
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 334

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not that I know of.
You could try bush whacking.

Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on August 23, 2008)
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 43

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Bill,

Guess it would be a grand exercise in GPS use... In you opinion, do you think I'd be in for a rough time to get into Greys from Makobe, and then further into that triangle lake into FrogFly? It seems that going from Makobe to Frogfly sees a gradual rise in elevation so that to start the climb to the summit (even bushwhacking) is only about 100 or so meters rise.

Interesting approach, huh?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 335

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

rallupae,
From Grays to To Frogfly Lake as far as the Temagami Canoe Route Map shows there are no portages into the Un-named Lake and into Frogfly Lake. So that area could be bushwacking. Then from Frogfry Lake to Maple would also be Bushwacking. It would be a slug for you. If you do decide to do that route it would be intersting to have a trip report and pics.
Take along snipers for the small brush and possibly a chain saw for the big stuff, along with flag tape to mark the trail. A GPS would be essential.
Have a good trip and looking forward to the trip report.

Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 582

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rallupae:
There was some discussion about this route several years ago here on Ottertooth.You might try to google frogfly etc and see what if anything pops up. As I vaguely recall someone tried this route, but was not successful.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 140

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I fly over the west side of MM all the time. In my opinion bushwacking it would be very difficult, as Bill suggests a GPS would be essential.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you for everyone's input. My friend and I have decided to plan it and give it a go in about 3 weeks time. Ed, found previous discussions from 2005 over on CCR about the route being an old Nastagwan (spelling?) route, even as marked in Hap's book.

So, I may have some more questions here as we plan, if that is ok. We will likely drive up to Elk Lake and stay the night. Then, embark down Beauty Lake Road in the morning with a put in that takes us into the Makobe, portage into Grays, test out the creek (probably a portage) into the unnamed lake near FrogFly. May we could name the lake?

Bush_pilot, do you fly regularly enough that we might be able to contact you by radio? We have one of those sets that does the high powered radio (GMRS is it?) that apparently gets 40km clear line of sight. Just wondering if there would be some sort of lifeline should we encounter trouble.

Thanks, and stay tuned...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 941

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe a Keewaydin Camp section did this route about 1959. Never attempted again. I believe it was considered more of a hike than a canoe trip.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 142

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rallupae
No I don't fly over on a schedule but I'm over that way at least twice a month. I'm not sure what you mean by a GMRS radio, we use VHF, 126.7 should get you any overflying aircraft. Communications of choice these days is a sat. phone. If you get into trouble (ie. hurt yourself, we won't help if you are lost) we will come and get you but there are virtually no places to land on the west side, only on the summit.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the insight bush-pilot. The GMRS radio is the two-way radio system (CH 15-22). I am sure that it is well out of the VHF band.

Sat. phone, hmmm? I'll look into that as I recall cell phone was not working at all until I was on the summit, last summer, with clear line of sight (analog service) with the cell towers on Highway 11.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Planning Progress, info needed:

Hi all, trip planning is now taking place, and it seems that we will take Beauty Lake Road from Longport down to Beauty Lake. Now my question is (and perhaps I should put this in CCR too, know what, I will) about where the road that veers South East from Beauty Lake road right at the North end (a fork in the road). The road then continues towards Southbear Lake. On the south end of Southbear lake, a lesser road cuts off to the East and terminates at the North end of Makobe Lake. I am hoping this to be a put in. Anyone know about this road/trail and its condition? Our goal is to travel the Nastawgan noted on this map, from Makobe to Grays to Frogfly:

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/nast aw-2B.htm

Thanks
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 943

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is not maintained, and hasn't been in decades, at least not all the way to Makobe. The first half may have been used for logging in the last few years. But it only takes one bad spot to destroy a vacation. The rain this year has been doing terrible things to these roads. Have an alternate plan to access your route in case you can't make it.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the tip, Brian. Any suggestions? I mean, putting in at Beauty Lake is a farther North than I had hoped. According to Hap's book (heh, how many times have we said that, huh?) Route 20 might be an alternative. Could you tell me if Beauty Lake Road is good down to Gamble Lake? Is there parking there? I t looks like we could put in on the West side of the bridge, a whack of little portages, and then either North up the Makobe, portage the rapids and take the 1.2km portage into Grays, or take Grays from the South (Hap's Route 12). Thoughts?

Thanks!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 589

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rallupae:
If you check around this site, there have been some recent posts that indicate that the road to Gamble is not good and you will have a problem driving much below Kaa Lake.

The trip you seem to be proposing ( my copy of Haps book is in a pack and not easily accessible right now, as I try respond) from Gamble East to the South of Trethewey and on to Makobe either via Trethewey to the north or through Makobe using the SW basin are "hard arsed" affairs in lower water.

If I was planning, to do what you are planning, I would approach Greys from the Lady Evelyn River via MacPherson Lake, travel North into Greys and try to access Frogfly from that direction.

The route going East below Trethewey that you are thinking about is better traveled in the Spring when the water levels may be higher.But even then you are in for some fun.

Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 337

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Rallupae:
This is the most recent postings for the area.
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/11112. html

Bill
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 48

Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again everyone for your valuable input. Bill, thanks for that post reference. Any idea how to get in touch with the posters on there (smack or Sundown, for example)?

I would like to know the outcome.

Thanks
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 944

Posted on Monday, September 1, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a link to the User List at the bottom of this page. If they opted to have their email public then it will be there.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home