Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Hap's Route 6 Late September: Is traffic likely? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, I'm thinking of doing Hap's Route 6 in a week or so. I'm hesitating because for me one of the major attractions of canoe tripping is solitude and I've heard what an overpopulated nightmare it can be in the summer. But I've also heard it's a fantastic route. Does this route go quiet in the Fall (which is been my general experience on previous trips to Temagami)? Or am I still likely to encounter other canoeists? If the latter is likely, does anyone have any advice as to a quiet 5 to 6 day loop suitable for this time of year?
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 145

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great time of year for Diamond-Wakimika-Obabika
 Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Curly..can you tell me anything about blueberry that has been reopened..Im going up no matter what for 8 or 10 days sept. 28th..I have a newbie with me but she shows great promise..its baptism by water i guess you can say...for her..Im far from new canoeing and did an 8 day last year there ( Harris Lake area)through the bush late Oct.(it snowed early)..canoehead>>Thanks
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 146

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

All the info is here, including maps:

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/?p=92
 Link to this message

canoehead

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you Curly...do you want us to let you know how it was when we get back?
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Heilbron, I've done that loop several times at the same time of year you are thinking of . You'll have most of the place to yourself, esp midweek . Most of the cottages are closed by then ; I saw relatively few canoeists . Go for it.
 Link to this message

heilbron

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, guys. Very encouraging. I'm definitely going. Any thoughts on direction -- clockwise versus counterclockwise... Or does it matter?
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The wind usually decides for you. If there's a north wind, paddling up the NW Arm into Obabika Inlet will be easier than the North Arm. If there's a south wind, you can sail up the North Arm all the way to Diamond.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It's a bit of a splurge for most budgets, but a water taxi either one way or the other up the main Lake to either Sharp Rock or Obabika Inlet could allow you to get an extra day or two further off the beaten path.

But in late Sept. you'll prolly see only a smattering of contractors boating on Lake Temag and few if any canoeists off the main lake.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have done it in both directions - as others said, the weather will decide for you .

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home