Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Beauty lake Road towards Gamble < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wanted to update on the road condition of beauty lake road to Gamble. As reported the road is out where the second bridge is past KAA. However, someone kindly hacked out a piece of the bridge and you can barely get a car through now. The bigger problem is several more miles down the road a beaver decided to build a dam in the middle of the road creating about 4 feet of water and completely making the road impassable. The beaver has done quite a bit of work. This dam needs to be removed soon if we ever want to regain the road. Another year and the road will be a little lake. Not sure if the MNR could assist here or not... but time spent is needed. we hiked from the beaver dam to Gamble with canoes and kayaks and it took about 45 minutes to an hour...
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 342

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Figure on stating your trips from KAA then. Leave the beaver along. Start at Kaa and the beaver problem will not bother you then.

Bill
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh we did start there, figure adding 1.5 full days to your trip.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 343

Posted on Thursday, October 2, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Add 2 days and be a tourist and take your time.

Bill
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds pretty brutal rootbrian,

From what I have read, the road really was never that great at all past Kaa, anyhow. A question for you - you passed an offshoot of the road that veers east towards the top of Makobe Lake. It is north of Kaa. Can you tell me condition of what it appeared to be like? I can provide an exact map if you need it, but most topos of the area indicate a lesser road heading almost due East to the top arm of Makobe Lake.

Check out my previous post here on Ottertooth dealing with getting to Maple Mountain from the North West.

thanks,

Paul
 Link to this message

rootbrian

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, October 8, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Paul,
I know exactly the offshoot your talking about and it appeared to be in good condition and it was clearly visible. Looked as though ATV's had been back there recently. But getting there takes time. All the Best
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just returned Saturday from a trip there. (at this point the road is actually called Deep Lake Road) The road is as bad as stated. One can only drive approx. 26kms and then the MNR have it taped off with compliance tape. From there you can walk to Gamble but you better have a canoe cart if you try that... it is about 4 miles, or 7kms approx. The wash out is so bad even an ATV could not pass. When I saw it, the water was high (maybe 40 feet across) and raging through the centre of that wash out. I'd say the road is gone, unless they rebuild that section with culverts. Kinda hope they leave it....
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1058

Posted on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not likely the culverts will be put back. Parks doesn't have the budget. The only other possibility is if loggers want to cut from the washout down about 2 kilometres to the park boundary. They would put it back in.

So where are the culverts? Sitting in the river bed?
How was the last stretch of road to Kaa Lake?
Did you see any anglers camped along the road?

Thanks for the update.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 4:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah, culverts in the river and/or half buried in the road. The last stretch to Kaa was drivable but there were a couple of deep spots, to the point where steam was coming out from under the hood of my SUV. That water was receding when I left on Friday. 4-wheel with clearance helps especially in spring as the road tends to be soft in places as the frost comes out. I think with the right amount of clearance you could drive right over the beaver dam if you were so inclined. The water there was about knee deep, which tells you the hight of the dam. If you can get past the washout (which you can't) you could still drive down to the bridges providing the gate is open. No other people were camped along the road and no other signs or tracks from people visible on the day that I went, Sat. May 9. Pretty sure I was the first in this season.... kinda felt good about that.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a question. At one of the campsites on my trip I came across a ring of small stones (wish I knew how to upload the pic) about 2 feet in diameter. There was 1 small stone in the circle conspicuously at the north end of the ring, or 12 o'clock. I'm sure it was not a fire pit of some kind. Seems to me it may be some kind of prayer circle, if there is such a thing? Can anyone comment?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1059

Posted on Friday, May 22, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you can crop the photo to 600 by 600 then you can upload it.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone know what this might be?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1061

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 - 9:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Impossible to use the photo to try and age it from the debris and growth of lichen etc around the ring. But there has been heavy non-native use of the region for a 100 years, so one has to be cautious.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home