Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 29, 2009 * Hiking from Sturgeon to Ishpatina < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 18, 2008rallupae25 10-18-08  6:51 pm
  ClosedNew messages will be added after most recent message, not on archived pages        

Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Flashing back to the original posting, and rallupae, October 8th...

Congrats first to res2100 and his crew for making it to the top of the ridge.

I am posting this to be sure that I follow through on posting ettiquette...

My intent is always to reply to postings, my reply was going to be suggesting two options for res2100...

1. See this site: http://alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageGallery/2006/06- 03-IshpatinaRidge/index.jsp

as well as

2. flying into to scarecrow lake and climbing from there.

Also res2100, one would assume that someone posting on a site frequented by canoeists would be a posting as a canoeist. All of my comments were based on that assumption... sorry, shouldn't have assumed!

Although I do admire your hesitation to go backcountry canoeing without experience I also support the idea of getting the experience... it opens up so many new ways to explore not only the greatest province in the country but all of the other great water ways of the world. A canoe is a canoe no matter where you journey!

Most outfitting companies offer one day training sessions and guide trips. Take a weekend guided trip and learn from the masters. Then start taking short trips yourself, take a sat-phone if you're unsure about being cut off from the rest of the world.

Read the books written by the locals and the masters... Hap WIlson is the Temagami Guru of water travel, he's not the only one, just the most recognized. Kevin Callen (?) also has some great weekend canoe routes in his assortment of guide books.

I love Temagami, and I think the area is made even more special by a lack of easy access to most of it's beauty. In this day of instant gratification, short cuts and gps caching we need to do what ever we can to protect the beauty of Temagami.

PS the trail I was talking about was the one that runs from the lakeshore to the top of the Ridge, the trail that canoeist have been using for years.
 Link to this message

pierre19

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No, the road is not on the maps yet. I downloaded a copy of the latest Mapsend and the new road was not on it. That is an awesome story of their weekend. The one fellow I talked to has a camp back in past Upper Hamlow and he remembered the group from October 11th. He remarked they were a good bunch having a great time.

PT
 Link to this message

res2100

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

cascade: My intention was to hike. That was my goal and the challenge I wanted to take up on this adventure. That was what I had planned for years. I was not interested in canoing. I posted here enquiring because part of the name of this forum was "backcountry travel". I enjoy hiking. Next week I am organizing a 55km hike which a number of the same people who went up to Ishpatina will be joining me. A couple of years ago, I did a 52km hike. We had about 25-30 people show up and of those only 4 of us hiked it in it's entirety.

pierre19: glad someone remembered us. The road was not on my map either, but some locals who joined us that day scoped out the area on their ATV and got the track lines so it was easy for us to follow. I posted our trackline on my web page indicated about.

We all had a good time and I have already been asked by many what we are doing next year...which hasn't even crossed my mind yet, but I would consider Maple Mountain as a possibility.
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 55

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

res2100 - tread carefully to Maple Mountain - Chi-Bay-Gin. This is sacred First Nations ground. There is no reliable road travel to Maple Mountain. Old Logging roads are that - old. Not to mention that this area really is an intrusion on the area and still continues today in other parts of Lady Evelyn Lake.

The best, and most rewarding trip to Maple Mountain is via water. There is so much adventure as you travel towards the lakes and the trail head - giant dead trees "guarding" the lake, rock channels in the creek underwater, moose, ducks, herons, beaver dams, great remains of the ancient forest in Sucker Gut Lake, old communication wires on the ground on Hobart Lake and up the trail. It would be a relaxing 2 day trip to the mountain trail by canoe. Since there is so much to see, I have done Maple Mountain in a 9 day trip, and a 6 day trip.

It is much steeper incline than Ishpatina by far, and the view is fantastic. I do urge you to be mindful of First Nations customs when approaching and staying on the summit - this is sacred ground with a great history. Believer or not, doing so for me actually ensured me safe travel both on water and on the Mountain.

Let me know how or if your plans develop. I have been to the area a few times and have studied the area quite well, including the history (mining, logging, MNR activity, First nations, etc).
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

rallupae - thank you for your guidance to res2100 (and all else who read these posts) in regards to Maple Mountain and the importance it holds.

My husband and I have been up Maple Mountain twice. Our favourite campsite is the little island just before Hobart Creek (?), where we can watch the mountain over our evening tea and greet it again with our morning coffee.

res2100... help us to understand you better...

why do you hike in such large groups of people?

Are you part of the gsp cache hunting groups we hear about on the radio?

Have you considered taking a guided trip into Temagami and up Maple Mountain? Why is it you don't want to canoe?

and Finally, have you considered the La Cloche Silhouette Trail at Killarny Provincial Park and the climb to the top of Silver Peak? No canoe needed, very long trail, large campsites. No bushwacking needed! http://www.ontarioparks.com/ENGLISH/kill-hiking.ht ml

I really have gone off topic here and the moderator is going to rock my canoe soon!

Please take what rallupae said seriously; Maple Mountain is sacred to many people, and the trail that leads to it, through the water and through the forest is part of the process that slows your mind and your body to be ready for what the Mountain can offer your soul.
 Link to this message

boat129

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It seems to me the guy likes to hike! Let him hike! Great job on the one day trip you should be proud of yourself and all the others that went along!
 Link to this message

res2100

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

cascade: as boat129 hinted, yes I like to hike. From reading Ken T.'s web page and the 2006 trio that hiked to Ishpatina, it seemed doable to me. The thought of canoing never crossed my mind nor was it something I was interested in. I was very confident that I could make the hike and bushwhack to the top of Ishpatina and back in a day...and I did. If I had any serious doubts that it was doable, I never would have done it. My biggest concern wasn't hiking it, but instead driving along the logging roads.

To help better understand me, I am a geocacher (search for hidden containers using a GPS. These containers usually contain a log book and trade items...there's over 11,000 hidden in Ontario). I decided to organize a geocaching picnic event on top of Ishpatina Ridge and left it up to people how they would get there. Some people joined me and others found their own way as mentioned previously.

And I don't think we hike in large groups. It was just 8 of us that later split into a groups of 5 and 3 and into 2 and 4 on the way back. Those aren't large. Even when I do the 55km hike (and the 3 previous hikes) along the Bruce Trail this Saturday, although there may be about 15 people that start out, after a few kms people will start to split up into smaller groups based on their abilities. Eventually over the next 10 years I plan to hike the entire Bruce Trail (2 hikes per year). Usually we wind up being in groups of 4 or so as we go along. In each case, people do what they can based on what they feel they are capable of. For those hours and hours that we hike together or do these adventures together or go geocaching together, it is a great social atmosphere.

As for Silver Peak, I went to the top 5 years ago with a friend. We first canoed in the dark to OSA Lake and then back to our camp site on an island by the visitor center (or whatever it's called). The next day we drove to another part of the park and put in the canoe there and canoed to a trail and hiked the several kms to the top of Silver Peak. Ever since going to Silver Peak I had had the idea in my mind that one day I would like to go to the highest point in Ontario, which was Ishpatina Ridge. I found Ken's site and thought immediately that I could do it too. That one day was the other week. I and everyone else came away with lasting memories and an experience of a lifetime.

As for Maple Mountain. Maybe we'll do that next fall, maybe we won't. Right now it's just a thought in the minds of a few of us. As for Maple Mountain being sacred, that is fine and I respect that, but not sure what that fact has to do with me or anyone wanting to visit it. If I think I can do it one way or another, I would. If I don't think it's possible for me (bad roads, can't find someone to canoe with, etc) then I won't. Just like with Ishpatina, there is a lot of thought that went into that trip.
 Link to this message

res2100

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's my wife's perspective of the weekend from the campsite:
http://www.cachemania.com/index.php/ishpatina-camp .html

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home