Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through April 12, 2005 * Favorite & Least Favorite Campsite & Why < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

After spending many moon phases in the Temagami area and seeing such spectacles as the Northern Lights and Shooting Stars and fish holes with no end to the catch, I was wondering if there are places that definitly should be captured in memory that I must visit (before this short life is over) and some that should be avoided at any cost due to skeeters, black flies, hoonies (city people NOT connected to the North Woods) or just BAD views from the campsite. I will add my favorite and least later in this post. Just wanted to stir up some comments
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 301

Posted on Wednesday, December 1, 2004 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One of my least favourite is the campsite on the east side of the Montreal River between Big Spring and Mowat's Landing. Flat, grassy, sandy, exposed, ATV tracks and the Montreal right there. If your timing is off you may find yourself in need of a campsite there, and the choice is a lose-lose proposition.
 Link to this message

wilderneswalker

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 8, 2004 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Ho Brother, since you asked...favorite campsite is on Lady Eveyln Lake. High rock island across from Preacher's Point on the way to Sucker Gut. Always good protection from wind and storm no matter which direction it is coming at you. Can look-see 365 degrees. The narrow channel between the shore and island was home to a "pack?" of mink last time we were there and they played right along the shore in the water for hours. Loonies (not hoonies) like to hang out at the northern tip of the island and found small walleye there in July, bigger in Sept. Least favorite is the big, bald island across from Garden Island Camp. Windswept, barren and not very interesting with lots of motor traffic from the camp out to big lake. Noisy. I look forward to hearing your fav and not so fav. Love ya!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 304

Posted on Thursday, December 9, 2004 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Where is Preacher's Point?
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Depending on how you break up the days on the Wanapitei, you can end up camping on river-left, in an old gravel quarry, next to the logging road. Let me tell you...on a hot (95 degree), nasty (muggy), buggy (blackfly), sand-full day, you pretty much want to die.
 Link to this message

wilderneswalker

Post Number: 12

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, Sorry for the delay in reply. Preacher's Point is on Lady E. in the big lake. If you go through the narrows just beyond Island 10, head north going to Sucker Gut (pass Garden Island on your left) and head toward that tiny white dot of a rangers cabin in the far distance (just before taking a sharp left into the bottom of Suckergut,) Preachers point is halfway between the Ranger's cabin and Garden Island on the right. The rock island is on the left near shore. It's a good size rock, about a 3-story one. Great place to rest up.}
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 343

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm a little confused. You say "is halfway between the Ranger's cabin and Garden Island on the right" then you say "The rock island is on the left near shore".

What is the origin of the name?
 Link to this message

wilderneswalker

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 - 7:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, back again. Sorry about that confusion. As heading north, Preacher's Point is on the right, halfway between Garden Island behind you and the Ranger's cabin in front of you. It appears like a 10 foot sand cliff. Lots of canoe folks stop because the water is shallow so it is a great place to swim with a sandy bottom quite a ways out into the main water. I wish I knew the origin of the name. Can't help you there. Maybe someone can enlighten us.}
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As I recall, Bob Gilmore of what used to be Gilmore's Island Fishing Camp (now Island 10) used to tell that the Point was inhabited most of the summers of the 50's and 60's by a retired preacher that used to take his early morning coffee there. Not that there was a cabin or anything there, it's just where the fishermaen heading out used to receive an early morning HIYA!
Perhaps someone else has better explanation.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home