Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Satellite phones < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have seen several references in this forum lately to "satellite phones" (mostly relating to the Obabika Falls incident). Can anyone provide me with details on what products are available, service providers, cost, etc. I typically do my canoe trips without any phone/radio, but maybe I should re-consider this??
 Link to this message

cascade

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi... if your're going through Temagami, Temagami Outfitters rents phones... I believe it's a rental fee and the a per minute used fee... see their website for contact info.

http://www.icanoe.ca/service_equip.html
 Link to this message

rallupae

Post Number: 57

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are many providers. My advice is to look them up online. There are several companies, and I had zoned in on a couple that I was going to use had I not had to cancel my trip this year.

Let's see....

http://www.helloanywhere.com

This is what they sent me: "Rental period of 7 days is $79.95/week & each addt'l day is $15/day. We don't have an activation charge, but we do have a minimum usage charge of 20 minutes/week with an airtime charge of $2.49/minute."

This is the best plan that I found. Hope this helps. These guys are in Toronto, and ship out for $15.
 Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Based on experience, has anyone had issues with coverage? For example, could I expect full coverage in the entire Temagami canoeing area?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 347

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You should have Sat. coverage everywhere in Temagami but due to Some Sats. being off line you may have to wait for active Sats to fly over the are. I am told it could be only a few minutes to a hour.

Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 600

Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Iridium system is fully functional, but Globalstar has several non performing satellites in their array, so you may have to wait a bit until a functioning one passes by. Globalstar satellites are in an east/west equatorial orbit, so in Temagami they will always traverse the sky south of your position. To improve your connectivity chances, position yourself with a clear and unobstructed view of the southern sky. If you don't connect on the first attempt, try again about 15 minutes later etc.
The Iridium satellites are in a north/south polar orbit, so you would need a clear east/west line of site to improve their connectivity.

In other words, don't stand under a bunch of trees in the middle of the forest and expect these phones to connect, or place yourself beside a high hill with the satellite passing by the other side and expect to get connected.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home