Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Porcupine Creek Road < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mobius_trip

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 1:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello All,

I found this very interesting post in the archives:
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/40146. html?1310599617

Now I'm planning to explore this area in the spring.

I have been searching for information about Porcupine Creek Road, and found within the Nipissing Forest Annual Work Schedule, that three culverts where/are to be replaced between April 1, 2013 and March 31, 2014. So Iím guessing the road will be in good shape for a bush road.

Has anyone here travelled this road north from McConnell Lake Road recently?
What I would really like to know is how early in the spring the road is passable.

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 459

Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've emailed this to someone who will know. He occasionally posts on here as Les, but I don't know how often he checks.
 Link to this message

les

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, January 17, 2014 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm the guy who designed this proposed extension to the OTHT. The Porcupine Creek road was washed out last spring about 2 km in from the McConnell Lake Road. We were in there working on the trail in October and it still wasn't fixed. Last spring I was able to squeeze/ease my Pathfinder over the washed out culvert. I didn't try it last fall. I hiked from Wyse to Latchford (13 days) last year beginning April 30th. I was able to drive to the unmarked, unsigned trailhead. I was not able to drive all the way to the existing southern OTHT trailhead at Ottertail Creek so I had to drop my supply barrel and canoe (for crossing the creek)about a km short. The OTHT section south of Ottertail is still a proposed trail. Yoy'll find the remnants of my 2009 flag line. The main trail actually goes northwest up the Porcupine Creek Canyon, about 3 km. It then descends east back to the Ottawa following what I call Little Porcupine Creek. Follow the Ottawa south back to Porcupine Creek to complete the loop. There is an excellent campsite at the mouth of Porcupine Creek. The creek gets quite swollen in the spring so be careful crossing the log (if it's still there. Understand that you will be bush crashing. The canyon is spectacular. Go to nastawgantrails.org, click "area trails", click the gps icon at the page top and scroll down to free downloadable map and gps track. I just paddle up the Ottawa from Temiscaming PQ and base camp at the creek mouth.

Interested in doing any trail work? We're doing a very rudimentary clearing and painting some markers to maintain the line. Nastawgan Trail's proposal for the extension is currently in limbo, caught up in the regulation, or not, of a section of the Ottawa River Waterway Park. You'll have to hunt for the trail head, or I can show you exactly where it is. The trail can also be accessed via what is referred to as Nurse's Station Road, which is now mostly an ATV trail, beginning at the junction of Oak and Cedar Steets in Thorne.
 Link to this message

mobius_trip

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you curly for emailing Les, and thank you Les for all of this information.

Les, Itís too bad about the washout. The plan was to enter at the same point indicated by greenfoot in the linked post above to explore the small features of the canyon bottom before everything leafs out. Now I realize there is more to consider. I might be interested it doing some trail work at a later date, perhaps in the fall.

Have you (or anyone else) ever tried the Porcupine Creek Branch Extension south from McLarens Bay Road?

Nice map by the way, bush crashing, understood.
 Link to this message

les

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You'll find a locked gate about three km south of the McLarens Bay Rd. I was thinkin' it would be a quick shuttle for the new section of trail but..... There's an active cilica mine (blast & dash) in the area which might be the reason for the gate. It could also be due to recent logging operations or just a desire to keep all the locals on the McLarens Bay Rd. ATVs have no trouble skirting the gate.
 Link to this message

mobius_trip

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, April 1, 2014 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again Les, so much for that idea.

Are you planning to visit this area again this spring, and if so can you please update us on the road conditions?
I am still planning to go up sometime in May.

If I get there first, I will post my findings here.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home