Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Rib loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 8:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

I'm planning a short canoe loop for this spring. I figure this could be a good loop to take along a couple novice aspiring canoeist.

We plan doing the following.

1 - rib lake
2 - Roosevelt lake
3 - Prud'homme Lake
4 - slim lake
5- friday lake
6- fat lake
7- Cliff
8 - return to rib lake

I'm looking for any information on this area if anybody has been here before. How are the portages? Is this area extremly busy? how are the sites? Historical info? ect... If anybody knows the area please share some wisdom...
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 460

Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did that loop in the late 1990s, but the other direction. Started at the south access road on Rib Lake, into Cliff, Fat, Friday, Prud-homme (camped there), then Roosevelt and back down Rib. That was before there was an established hiking trail up the Cliff Lake Ridge. I can't remember if I hiked up that particular trip, but I've been up a number of times both winter and summer. If I were you, I would budget an extra day to hike the loop at the top of the ridge, including the Crevasse. See nastawgantrails.org for maps and info. Area is not busy at all, even though Rib has a few cottages and lodges. Portages should be passable, but will reflect low usage. Nice campsite on an island in the south end of Cliff, plus my site on a point at the north end of Prud'homme. You will be able to hear the highway at night as well as the trains.

I did hear a wolf pack howling at night on Prud'homme, something I've only heard a handful of times in almost 25 years of canoe tripping and living in Temagami.

....reminds me that I should get up there to enjoy some powdery telemark skiing while it lasts.
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 6:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thank you Curly,

Do you know if there are other campsites other then the ones on the FOT map?

On a side note I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum in any way. I started exploring temagami a few years back and this site is full of knowledge!!! I'm looking forward to becoming a more productive member once I get the experience and knowledge to back me. Feep it up guys and gals!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1602

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 9:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Neotericpilgrim.

May the wind always be at your back.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 463

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was the person who edited that area for the FOT map, so no, I don't know of any campsites not on our map. :-) Enjoy your trip! When I did it, it was a pushed overnight. To do it again, I think I would camp night 1 in Cliff, Day 2 hike the ridge, Day 3 to Prud'homme, Day 4 return. I've never hiked the OTHT north, but that would be another option, a few hours or a whole day.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home