Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Get away from me ATV's < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 5:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

me again with yet another question... Hopefully i'm not becoming "one of those" haha...

I was woundering if there is any way to determine where ATV's cannot access in the temagami area?

Over the past couple years have been great learning experiences for me as i've gone old school and portage into lakes and do not take any other vehicule other then my canoe. My issue is that sometimes I portage a few lakes and work hard only to arrive to my destination and see 2-3 guys on ATV's. Nothing against them just not my style to bring everything and then some...

I figure if such a place exist (other then algaquin park) it has to be teagami considering all of the great things people have done to help protect it.

Any insight would be great! thank you all in advance for sharing your knowledge.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1603

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 9:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's a real challenge. There are big areas where there are no roads, especially in Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater. However, ATVers create their own trails, extensions of the ever-expanding network of logging roads, and end up surprising us by appearing in new areas. Without knowing every ATV trail a rule of thumb would be to stay away from the roads marked on the Ottertooth maps, and connected waters. The campsites with ATV access on those maps are also helpful indicators.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 462

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Theoretically there is not supposed to be unauthorized motorized access in parks, conservation reserves and special management areas. There are many loopholes where motorized access is authorized. And there are many places where unauthorized access occurs anyway due to a lack of enforcement.

I'm not sure if there's a map here on ottertooth showing the various zones, but I did find on in the Temagami Area Crown Land Use Plan. Basically the green and purple areas are "off limits."

But if you want to be guaranteed no motors around, best place to go would be the interior of the LESPP.

http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/planning_pdf/T IP_Crown_Land_Rec_Plan.pdf

Edit to add that you have to look at Figure 3 in the .pdf.

(Message edited by curly on March 21, 2014)
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 6:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you that "figure 3" map was exactly what I was looking for!

IT's funny tho the area I had in mind when I was asking the question is part of the special management area... I see ATV's all the time... frustrating... I guess I'm going to need to go deeper haha
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 465

Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 2:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you are seeing ATVs in a SMA, park or CR, give the MNR TIPS line a call. Doesn't hurt to ask if it's unauthorized access that you've witnessed. That's why you pay your taxes. If it is unauthorized, then this is a serious offense and should be investigated. The toll free number is 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) and the webpage is http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Enforcement/2 ColumnSubPage/STEL02_163377.html

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home