Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Bugs in May/June? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ctwitty

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

How bad are the bugs in late May or early June?

I have tree-planted and camped in May before (up near Hearst, and in northern BC), so I have a fair idea of what it's going to be like. Still, I've only ever camped Temagami in July, and it's easy to underestimate how bad the bugs can get.

Some friends of mine who are planning on camping with me this May/June are "first-time" backcountry trippers, so they might not deal well if the bugs are too bad. Wondering if the trip is worth it at that time of year...any advice? Thanks again for your help! This forum is great.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1604

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great time to go if you are trying to reduce your circle of friends.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1269

Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It doesn't look as if it will a normal spring this year.There is lot's of snow and lot's of ice so spring will be late and probably wet with high water levels and a swampy wet bush.

Last year ice out was around May 8th and there were few bugs around even at the end of May. Normally the bugs are out and about in force by May 21st.

This year maybe they will be later still.

This of course is all a guess, based on crystal ball gazing.
 Link to this message

twidderfield

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 6:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When I first read the title of the topic on the board I thought omg are you kidding me? Then I opened the conversation and literally laughed out loud long and hard at Brian's post! Lmao!
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2014 - 9:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HAHA at BriaN's post. I'm relatively new to the Temagami area (4th season) The memory of my first trip is so many mosquitos I recall there being so many they where bitting our wet PFD's.

I also remember the night I slept with my side up against the tent wall... <- not doing that again lol
 Link to this message

ctwitty

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wow, ok thanks for the input. Sounds like early June would be a horrible mistake. Maybe I'll take a chance on late May. Thanks again.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 9:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Id go in August LOL. No black flies and mosquitos are ending their rein of terror at that time as well. Not that there wont be any mosquitos but a lot fewer anyway.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 377

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I wouldn't be so sure on the no black flies in August.. the mosquitos and them trade off as each gets tired of eating on a bi-weekly basis! As for when they come out.. it won't change, they always sense fresh blood coming from the GTA on Friday afternoon of the May 24 weekend!
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 - 7:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well let's put it this way. I have never been bothered by black flies in August and there are definately fewer mosquitos. I enjoy being up there so much, however, the bug situation is a non issue for me whether they are swarming me or not. I have seemed to become somewhat immune to mosquito bites, dont even get itchy bumps anymore. Black flies still do though, lol. Those buggers are lethal.
 Link to this message

beechdriver

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was there in mid-June of last year (3rd week).
The bugs were relentless, and the dragonflies were only doing flight training.... they were not doing any combat at that time!
 Link to this message

campheiden

Posted on Thursday, May 8, 2014 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

going June 12, we shall see.. will bring lotsa Deet and Bug netting.
 Link to this message

limacharley

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bugs are nature's way of keeping city folk in the city.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home