Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Whitemud Campsite < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning a late May trip that includes the South Lady Evelyn River. In all of the trip reports that I have read that include the SLER people have camped on Smoothwater the night before. A number of map sources indicate that there is a campsite on Whitemud Lake which seems like a more logical staging point for the long paddle/slog down the SLER. Can anyone tell me what the condition of this campsite is...or if it even exists? I understand that it is off the beaten path to Ishpatina, so it likely doesn't get much use, but I guess I am just wondering if there is a specific reason why you don't hear of more people using it.

Thanks in advance for you help.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1606

Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure which maps you are using, but if it is on this one (and it is) it is accurate:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 6.htm

That campsite doesn't get a lot of use because, as you said, it is not on the main route between Smoothwater and the Sturgeon, but on the less-used route between Smoothwater and the South Lady E. It is a rocky site near where the creek enters the lake through a crevasse-like opening. A good place to camp before hitting the water for the Lady E. to Florence.
 Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great thanks Brian! I appreciate the information.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home