Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * The "2 miler" from the south channel to diamond < Previous Next >

Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Could someone give me some insight as to the condition of the 4000m portage from the South Channel to Diamond lk in July on a typical year. Also in Haps book a little farther along into Willow Island Lk there is 4 short portages to Diamond Lk. Are these easily passable or am I better off with the 4000m?

Thanks Zed
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 606

Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 2:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Zed:
There are only 3 portages into Diamond using the crossover route from Willow.They are easily passable.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1013

Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 6:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Two-miler is well used and wide open. Not sure how often the 3 portages are used.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 174

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The two miler can be wet and in parts and people are side hilling to avoid portage muck and this can be dangerous for twisted ankles. It crosses a number of creeks and high step ridges and the entire length makes this a difficult carry.

The alternate you talk about would be my choice unless wind and time are of concern.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with Alscool, a half mile of muskeg at the end is no fun after the canoe has been on your back for a 1/2 hour. The worse part about it is that you can see the open lake on Diamond while slogging through the muck.

I tried looking for the crossover route one time and couldnt find it. It seemed to take out of a marsh and we couldnt see any flags or marks of any kind indicating a trail.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 607

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 2:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The entrance to the portage from Willow Island Lake has been moved. It used to be located at the end of the bog like marsh on the East side of the Bay where it is shown on the Route Planning Map. Now the entrance is located on the South shore of that same bay.
You would need to cruise along that shore to find it.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 158

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, so you've done that Diamond-Willow Island crossover? When?

FYI, Camp Wanapitei calls that portage "The Barn." There used to be a horse barn at the north end of the portage, used by winter horseloggers up until the early 60's. Wanapitei sections would sleep in the hay in the barn.
 Link to this message

kevin

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 8:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The "Barn" eh ? Thats cool, I never heard of that, it must of been part of that logging operation where the south branch of L.E. comes into Willow.( Depot ) There use to be some neat old buildings there. Anyone know where that old road goes?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1014

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This was all licensed to A.J. Murphy Lumber Co. in Latchford after WWII. The site at the base of the South Channel was its depot for a swath of cutting that paralleled the South Channel, on the west side, almost to Dry Lake. There was a hill so steep, probably west of Divide Lake, that they needed a crazy wheel to get the sleighs and vehicles up and down. I understand from Hap that the road is completely grown over in parts and can't be travelled.

The "Barn" would also have been part of the Murphy operation.
 Link to this message

kevin

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would agree that it is overgrown, 20 yrs. ago we were hiking around, looking at the pemnants of days gone by when out of nowhere this Indian Dude with two 5-gallon gas tanks comes down the trail,says Hi and keeps going, must of got dropped off at the depot, cause when we got back to our canoe there was no sign of how he got there. So, I got curious and the next year I take my mountain bike up there. NO, not by canoe, I cheated and took my tinny, you should of seen the looks I got riding it around Mowats landing and the Dam. anyway I could go quite a ways before it got too thick to ride thru...Always wondered where he went.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 608

Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly:
I think I misread Zed's initial post.
I don't think we are all talking about the same portages.I am referring the ones from the north part of Willow Island Lake that go into Lady Evelyn and then into Diamond. I think you and Zed are referring to a series of portages south of that going directly into Diamond.
I have never been on those.
The ones to the north are well used and easily travelled compared to the "2 miler".They are about 3 kliks north of the ones you guys are talking about.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 159

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, Ed, you're right. Three routes from Willow Island to Diamond. The Barn, the 'usual' route via Lady Evelyn Lake, and a heritage route from the far north end of Diamond. Anyone know anything about that route?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1015

Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Now, I am confused. Is the Barn not the 3-portage route out of the north end of Diamond into Willow Island? (I am not referring to either the 2-miler or the Lady Evelyn-Willow Island 2-portage route, which are both in wide use today.)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 609

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly:
I have the same question as Brian and the same confusion.
I have used the crossover route from Lady Evelyn to Willow Island on at least 3 ocassions over the past 5 years.... but I have never seen a " Barn" in the area.

There was a discussion about the Heritage route here on Ottertooth about maybe 2 years ago..... something about an old LUP cabin up there in the first lake off Diamond travelling North and a not so friendly LUP holder.....
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 160

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 8:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

From southwest to northeast:

1. the Barn aka the Two Miler

2. the 'heritage' route, shown on CM's map as a series of 3 portages from Willow Island to the north end of Diamond

3. the 'usual' route, a lake-hop from Willow Island to Lady Evelyn via Pee-jee-gig-gonay.

Though most people do the usual route because they don't want to do a 2 mile portage, I do find that the Barn shaves a half day off your trip if going from the South Channel to Lake Temagami.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 350

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Last year I went from Diamond at the lift over to Lady Evelyn and then had 2 portages to get to Willow Island then on the return we did the 2 miler back to Diamond. Is this what everyone is referring to. or is there other portages north of the southern ones I did.

Bill
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with Curly. You can even "take it lazy" on the two miler after coming out of the South Channel and still save a lot of time. A bit of mud on your boots but ...... Drop the canoe a few times. There's some decent smooth rock higher ground near the mid point to take a nice break.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 610

Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly:
Your item #1 above,sheds some light on the confusion.

Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 7:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The route I was referring to is on Hap's route #2. It shows 4 portages out of the north end of Diamond into Willow. It is also marked in the Backroad Mapbook (but as 3 portages).

Curly, what is this CM's map you speak of?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1018

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This is the route Curly calls the Heritage route and I referred to as the 3-portage route that isn't used often.

It is on Craig Macdonald's Nastawgan map. Great map for exploring, but not all the portages on it can be found today, or easily found. The map is online on this site and can also be purchased from Craig.

Nastawgan intro:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/ intro-nastaw.htm

The 3 portages:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/ nastaw-3B.htm
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian, Thank you for the links. I have seen the Nastawagan map before but have just never heard it called CM's map.

So basically this route would likely be a tough one? In the interest of time I am probably better off with the 2 Miler?

Zach
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1019

Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I do believe the 3-portage route would be taxing, but many people consider a 2-mile walk with muskeg to also be so.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1022

Posted on Monday, February 2, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just had an interesting chat with Bruce Hodgins of Camp Wanapitei about The Barn. The barn (building) stood at Murphy's logging depot, which was at the base of the South Channel. It was not at the 2-miler portage. It became a Wanapitei routine back in the 1960s to cross the 2-miler then paddle to the depot, camp there (which was a big field after the loggers abandoned it), and sleep in the hay in the barn. The portage became known as the Barn Portage, though the barn building was not there.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm assuming the dock/crib that is located at the base of the South Channel would have been part of the same operation?
Would the Barn have been located somewhere near this old crib?

I'm having a hard time picturing where there would have been a big field in the area... I remember it being a pretty rough and rocky topography.

(Message edited by micmac on February 3, 2009)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1023

Posted on Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know where the crib is.

The field, of course, is long overgrown. It was barely visible in 1982. Today the only evidence on the south shore is the change in the tree age and species.
 Link to this message

rattlesnake_bob

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 7, 2009 - 5:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe the "crib" that is being referred to is at the base of the south channel of Lady Evelyn river, just as it opens up.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home