Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Park Permits < Previous Next >

Author Message
 Link to this message

gibson
Member

Post Number: 13
Registered: 01-2011
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 2:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

So I am heading up on Sat for a week long trip that starts and ends at the Gervais Rd/Sturgeon River. I had planned to pick up my permits at Opy's in Capreol on the way to the put in. Last Friday I gave Opy's a call just to confirm that they did in fact have permits to sell and they told me that they hadn't received any yet for this year. They also said that it was unlikely that they would have any for the upcoming long weekend. I then called and left a two messages (Fri and then Mon) with Finlayson P.P. hoping that they would be able to email or fax me the permits. So far I have not received a call back from the park.

I will be driving up Hwy 69 and then through Sudbury, so I am wondering if there is another location within the Sudbury area to buy backcountry permits? I am obviously not too keen on having to drive to Temagami to get them! Hopefully the people at Finlayson call me back in the next few days, but I just want to have a back up plan in case I don't hear from them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 Link to this message

gibson
Member

Post Number: 14
Registered: 01-2011
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 3:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ha Ha ... Literally 10 mins after my above post I received a call back from Finlayson PP. They informed me that they will be couriering permits to Opy's either today or tomorrow...so they should have them by Sat. So the permit crisis seems to have been averted!

Now I can't wait to get on the water!

 Link to this message

ed
Moderator

Post Number: 1273
Registered: 03-2004


Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I tried to buy permits several years ago, maybe 2010, in early May in River Valley, an approved reseller. He had none, since OP had not sent them .
This was about May 4-5th just as the ice was going out. I needed a permit to camp at Lower Goose Falls for 1 night, which is in the Park.

I don't think OP realizes that canoeists are out there as soon as the ice goes out.
 Link to this message

mjb1
Member

Post Number: 22
Registered: 10-2009
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 10:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just an FYI - I left tonight for a trip from the end of the Gervais Rd/Sturgeon River and couldn't make it through. Just across from a bridge the water from the Onaping River has overflown and crosses the road (didn't have the exact KM reading but it was about half way down the road). We had a 4x4 and didn't risk trying to get through. It rained a lot today and perhaps by Sat it'll be ok, but wasn't today.

(Message edited by mjb1 on May 15, 2014)
 Link to this message

doublebend
Member

Post Number: 44
Registered: 08-2006
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2014 - 7:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think that's probably the Wanapitei. There's a section alongside the river just past a bridge that floods in spring. Could be a while before it firms up...
 Link to this message

mjb1
Member

Post Number: 23
Registered: 10-2009
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 4:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Absolutely correct doublebend, it was the Wanapitei River. Hopefully the water levels were down by the weekend and people could get through.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home