Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 29, 2014 * Old portage route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fshrgrl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Wondering if anyone has done the portage between Mann Lake and Twinsister within the last few years. We are assuming as this route doesn't see much action that it would be quite overgrown. Also wondering about an apparent "dropoff somewhere along the route (water).
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 336
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 1:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think it was about 6 years ago we did that. I would say that portage was moderately difficult to locate and follow but was still very much used & not out of the ordinary for Temagami, and I don't see why that would have changed. The next portage (Twinsister to Jumping Caribou) is quite tricky as well and you have to be very observant both to find the start-point on the creek and to find the proper trail where it goes left down a steep slope off the private road and down to J.C.
It's a historically significant portage as it crosses the original Highway 11, which was to the west of J.C. Lake and is now called the Tonomo Road. I believe the highway was rerouted in the early 70's or slightly later. The original route was more spectacular but had too many sharp grades and sinuous curves so they moved it to flatter ground!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1614

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 8:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It was definitely re-routed before the 70s. It was the original hwy (Ferguson Hwy) built in the late 1920s.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2014 - 1:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You're right Brian, according to Wikipedia it was already rerouted east of the lake by 1940.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home