Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 10, 2009 * Route for young teens < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 155

Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 8:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A friend is looking for a 3 or 4 day route mid summer. He will be leading inexperienced youth 12 to 14 years old. I've suggested Rabbit Lk, Matabichuan R, Cooper L, Glassford L loop. How is river travel late July early Aug, he won't do white water. Also how difficult are the portages. Another possibility is Cassels, Blue Berry, Rabbit L. Again how difficult are the portages and is it possible to get from Blue B to Rabbit to make this trip into a loop.
Thanks
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bush Pilot

My Personal recommendation would be the West Montreal from Gowganda to Matachewan with a stop on Rankin Lake, which is simply beautiful.

It is a 'safe route' for beginners... only one portage of 350 metres at Caribou Falls... and 4-5 'tame' rapids, all of which are safely 'draggable'.

Abundant Wildlife.
Excellent Fishing.
My Last Time in there I Caught 92 inches of fish on 3 consecutive casts.
A Friend of mine caught a 28 pound pike there in 2008.

Sundown

(Message edited by sundown on March 24, 2009)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1033

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think Sundown intended to say this route starts in Gowganda. The West Montreal River is west of Gowganda. (Not to be confused with the main branch of the Montreal River which flows through Gowganda.)
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 156

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Sundown
I know its beautiful country north of Gowganda but I thinks its a bit too far for the group to drive, they will be starting from Camp Lorrain on Lake Temiskaming. Also they are interested in a loop if possible to cut down on doing the car shuffle thing.

(Message edited by Bush Pilot on March 25, 2009)
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1034

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are two or three rapids on the Matabit between Rabbit Chute and Bass Lake. They can take short portages on the river bank around each of them, though these are rocky carries. The rest of the route has no genuinely hard portages. The longest is probably the 1 kilometre between Cooper and Glasford, and it follows a road.
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 157

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 9:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian

Anyone know about Blueberry to Rabbit.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bush pilot - a small article and links to some maps of the Blueberry - Rabbit route links

http://www.friendsoftemagami.org/index.php/in-the- news/general-news/26-blueberry-to-sunrise-route-re -openedear-anima-nipissing
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian

Yes... Very True of Course... the East Montreal Empties Gowganda Lake, and, I'd Say It's a Bit More Challenging than What I Would Suggest for 12-14, So I Thank You For the Clarification.

The West Montreal is What I Was Suggesting, Which Does Commence just West of Gowganda on the Wapus, and proceeds northerly via Penassi.

If Anyone Reading Decides This Route, Please "Put-In" on the Wapus Rather Than at Duncan Lake... the Duncan Access is Perhaps More Agreeable, but You Have to Deal With a Minor Dam to Get Back Into the Wapus, and I Have Bad Memories of That Dam.

It Doesnt Look That Dangerous, But It Has Proven to Be Nothing Like It Looks. It's One Of Those Spots No One Should Go Near.

Thanks Again Brian.

Sundown
 Link to this message

sundown

Post Number: 398
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Addenda

The Wapus, Southerly, Is Also a Very Agreeable Daytrip, Towards Bridal Veil Falls...

I Would highly Recommend This Paddle to All Here as a Very Pleasant, and Peaceful Daytrip, or Leisurely Over-Nighter.

The Duncan Lake Dam... Northerly, On the Wapus...Seemingly Innocent and Benign...
Reminded Me Of an Earlier Thread Here Somewhere About Two Gentlemen... With Dogs... Who Somehow Missed a Portage Sign In Temagami Area, and Went Over a Set...

I Spent Two Days With a Nylon Rope Around My Waist... at Duncan Dam... Under Similar Circumstances.

Second Longest 2 Day-Month of My Life.

BTW... West Montreal... My Personal Opinion Is That Hap's Description of This Route Ought Be Stricken From Publication. Three Generations of My Family Have Maintained This Route. None of Us Recognize This River Via Words Presently In Print.

No Offence to Hap, Of Course.

Sundown
 Link to this message

bassguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Cross Lake road/boat launch access
Does anyone know where -exactly- the MNR boat access at Cross Lake comes out?? I drove to it- via River Valley- ten years ago- (but never launched) but cannot locate it from the water on Cross Lake. I know it is on the south/west side, in a bay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 164

Posted on Tuesday, April 7, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a route from Blueberry to Rabbit (without going through Sunrise). It goes from Blueberry to Telford, then Chick, then Rabbit. The long portage from Chick to Rabbit uses an old logging road. You should call Smoothwater Outfitters 705-569-3539 and talk with Francis, he has done this route.
 Link to this message

lorrain

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 8, 2009 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portage between Blueberry and Chic as well as to Rabbit are very rough as all of the blow downs and heavy snows have brought down a lot of small and dead timber.

There is a nice loop through Lorraine down to rabbit and back

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, April 8, 2009 - 9:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lorrain, have you travelled the creek from Chick to Lorrain, as shown on the Historic Map of Temagami? Can it be paddled?

When you mention the nice loop, do you mean Obashkong> Lorrain> Rabbit?
 Link to this message

lorrain

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lorraine or as it was formerly known Black Bear to North Bear through Middle and South Bear into Rabbit. Lots of interesting flora mand fauna as well as the campsite at the south end of North Bear has been greatly improved (cleaned up) and the falls will lull you to sleep.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home