Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Lake Matagamasi access & parking < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 22

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning a canoe trip in the Chiniguchi Waterway area this summer and want to start and end the trip at the bottom of Lake Matagamasi. We have consulted Ottertooth.com maps/directions and we are familiar as to the alternative access/parking places, i.e.
- Matagamasi Landing
- “The Pit” MTO gravel pit on McLaren Creek
- Park and shuttle from Sportsman’s Lodge on Lake Kukagami

In 2006 we did a similar trip, but parked in a gravel pit on a bay west of Matagamasi Landing and put-in there. Is this still are alternative parking/access point? Or should we stick with 1 of the 3 above.

Below is the location of our 2006 trip parking and lake access point.

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2014 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm not familiar with the access point shown on your 2006 map. There's another option, if you use shuttle, to put-in at Crystal portage, which is right at the northern edge of your map.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1624

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 8:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There was some issue with that gravel pit a few years back. I think it might be part of someone's lease or land-use permit, although I don't think I have ever seen it signed. It does get used by the ATVers for day parking. Still, it means more paddling than using the main landing.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1277

Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some comments from an area resident:

Re: Is this an alternative access point for Matagamasi?

The gravel pit is an option...not necessarily better than the Matagamasi landing.

The gravel pit is owned by Lakeland Lodge 705-853-0482.
Lakeland Lodge is in Portage Bay of Wanapitae Lake, with their own access point on Wanapitae at the end of the little road on the west side of the gravel pit.
I think they may do bed and breakfast for canoers. And maybe let you park in their secure lot? Best to call them regarding all of the above.

The only problem with parking at the Matagamasi Landing is when it is very busy. ALWAYS make sure you park away from the shore! Lots of people live in the area, and other people launch big boats there. They need space to get into their driveways, and the big boats need lots of room to manouver their trailers. It is a private dock/parking space on the south side of the of the launch area, and private land to the north. Thus, unload near the water, then move you vehicle away. Be respectful, and all is good.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, August 5, 2014 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed,

We completed a 7 day mid-July trip with a start/finish from Matagamasi Landing.
We did exaclty as you said. We drove down to the water, unloaded, then moved the van well back up the road and found a parking spot off the road, not blocking or impeding anyone. All was good.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home