Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Family Trip Ideas... < Previous Next >

Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2014 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi All,

My family and I will be heading up to the cottage (east arm of lake temagami) for a couple of weeks (July 27 - Aug 12) and I would like to take the family on a little 2 night canoe trip at some point during our stay. I have a reasonable amount of experience canoe tripping in the Temagami backcountry and other areas, but my wife is a novice and my kids are only 2 and 4 years old.

I realize that the time period that we are up there is probably the busiest time of the season. And that my wish list is the classic scenario of looking for a lake that we can have to ourselves, that has good swimming and is easily accessible with only one or two short portages...I know...I know it doesn't exist! But I guess I am just looking for some suggestions that are off the main routes and are easily accessible.

A few of the possibilities that I have come up with include:
Whitewater Lake
Little Eagle Lake or possibly Eagle Lake
Gilbert Lake (N of lundy Lake)
Maxam Lake

I'm not familiar with any of these lakes/campsites so I am not sure how suitable they will be. I am also concerned with Whitewater, Gilbert and Eagle lakes only having one campsite on them...I would hate to have to turn back in case it is already taken.

Anyway, I would appreciate any insight and suggestions you might have.

Thanks

Jamie

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1283

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2014 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Why don't you just go into Diamond Lake for a few days. Get an early morning start and get an island campsite and sit on it until you are ready to go back.
With 2 small kids in tow your wife will get annoyed with you if you go too far off the beaten path. The 2 year old will be running all over the place and will need constant attention as they have a tendency trip over every obstacle in their path.If they fall and hurt themselves, it is best to be close to help if necessary.

My first trip with 2 kids was in Algonquin for a few nights. One was 2+ and the other was about 1 1/2.The younger one was pretty steady at home on level ground but I remember we spent a lot of time picking her up and brushing her off.
Whatever you decide to do ... have fun. It is pretty magical out there with young children.
 Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2014 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for your response Ed. Diamond would be great, although assuming we started at Sandy Inlet I am not sure if the Napoleon portage might be a bit much for the wife and kids....but perhaps not. I just want to make sure that I keep everything fun and not push it too hard.

I'm guessing that from Sandy inlet to Sharp rock portage would take approx 4+ hrs (3hrs paddling and 1 hr to double carry the portage). Does that sound about right? For the portages, my wife can carry my daughter (2 year old) in a backpack carrier and I will double carry the canoe and pack. My son (4 yrs old) will no doubt be leading the pack!

Thanks again for your help!
 Link to this message

gibson

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2014 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also, wouldn't Diamond be one of the busiest lakes during that time...? Would we have trouble getting a campsite?
 Link to this message

shutter_speed

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, July 3, 2014 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might think about taking the Tetepaga River from the Mine Road to Iceland Lake, you could base camp there and explore the other lakes that are short portages away. You could return to your car parked at the road by the same route. It's a
quiet river.
It is a busy time of year, but it's been a quiet summer so far.

(Message edited by Shutter_speed on July 3, 2014)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, July 4, 2014 - 1:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are also good options right on Temagami, like Kokoko Bay & Lake, or the campsites in the channels around Beaver and Deer Islands in the North Arm. Or down Shiningwood Bay and across the easy portages to Wasaksina.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1632

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2014 - 9:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you have an island, you could save Napoleoon's or other inconveniences by boating to your first portage.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 473

Posted on Friday, July 4, 2014 - 7:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have 2 boys, age 3 and 5. Since the youngest was born, we've spent a few nights each year on Island Lake on the Temagami River. Access is easy, only a 45 minute drive from North Bay. Paddle 15 minutes to an island in the middle of the lake with a rocky point and a safe beach. You can watch the kids play on the beach from the campfire ring on the point. There's even a thunder box there. Our favourite day trip is down to the first falls on the river, about a 1 hr. paddle. There's a side channel to the falls that is safe to swim in. The kids love "swimming in the rapids."

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home