Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Goulard Road access < Previous Next >

Link to this message

cdm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone know the current condition of Goulard Road? I'm thinking of spending some time on either Wawiagama or Obabika next week - any advice regarding road access or campsites would be appreciated.
Thanks
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 4:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would also like this information, especially as concerns road access.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1635

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There has been more traffic on the Goulard as there are new property owners near the gate. The road is still rough, but doable slowly.
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks very much for the information, Brian.
 Link to this message

cdm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back from driving to Wawiagama. The last 12-13 km of 805/Goulard road is pretty rough with many areas of exposed rock/stones. ATVs seem to use the road towing boats for fishing excursions. I made it through OK going slowly in a CRV - definitely would only try the road in a 4WheelDrive and would be good to make sure a spare tire is available (a skid pan and a portable tire inflator may be good to have too)
 Link to this message

newtotemagami

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We just got back from a trip up Obabika, entering via the Goulard Road access. We drove in a Honda Fit and it was pretty harrowing. We made it there and back, and only bottomed out a few times, but we were at least an hour on the road from the end of 805 at Emerald Lake to the access point. I would not recommend the road to anyone without a four-wheel drive or a good combination of rashness, luck and nerve. The road has exposed rocks throughout its length and there were also huge puddles and potholes the day we came back.

On another note, we had perfect weather for four out of five days. The lake is a beautiful place to visit and paddle. The old growth forest at the north end is impressive and the sacred lake on the portage up to Bob Lake is wonderful. Obabika, as many know, is also long and windy. We were held up a day because of the storms August 11, but made it from Ranger's Point to Chinaman's Bay with rain and wind all the way on August 13.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home