Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Up pilgram and solace creek from sturgeon < Previous Next >

Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 3:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Only have 6 days next week for a last min trip and was thinking Sturgeon from Gervais Rd access to triangle, up pilgrim and solace creeks, then back up Sturgeon via Ghoul. I thought mabey with higher water levels this year it still may be do able? Anyone have any recent info on the area? Don't think I have enough time to do the loop up through Yorston. Another idea was popular short loop of the Sturgeon River from Matagamasi Lake up to Stouffer Lake and onto the river to Kettle Falls (adding backdoor route looks nice too). Looks like the closest access to this trip is Matagmasi Lake, which looks like it puts me over 6 days? Any closer access points or is that it? I have to do a loop as only one vehicle unless someone has info on shuttle.
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

another idea is Twinkle road access (if in good shape) up Ames ck up to Bluesucker over to Ghoul on River, to triangle and back over to Twinkle...thanks for any info/help on time frame
 Link to this message

dion_g

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I won't try Twinkle road access, there is a sink hole forming past the turn off at yorston bridge. Hole doesn't look to big when you first see it, but it is much bigger underneath when inspected closer.
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info dion_g. I am going to try and get a shuttle to Gervais access to Sturgeon and do a one way trip back to car at Kukagami L.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 392

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think there will be sufficient water to navigate Pilgrim Creek at this time of year. Even the Yorston River will be shallow and I would suggest downstream travel as the only option as you may only just float the canoe.
 Link to this message

dion_g

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 7:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just did the yorston this past weekend. Was going to do it from twinkle lake but had to put in at the trappers cabin instead. It was low but very doable. Only had to get out for the log jams on the lower part. Don't know what that means for the Pilgrim. Always wanted to do the Pilgrim.
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks again for the info...I think I will wait till I have time some spring for the Pilgim, Solace creeks trip. Instead We are going to try shuttle to Gravais on Sturgeon andn down to Kellys crossover through Carafel creek which looks like the quickest way back to lower Matagamasi L. and car (while still seeing as much of the Sturgeon as possible). Does 5 1/2 days sound reasonable?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1634

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

dion_g, what trapper's cabin on the Yorston are you referring to?
 Link to this message

dion_g

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 6:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is the one at the bridge crossing yorston. I had heard from Somewhere it was a local's trapping cabin.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home