Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Upper Sturgeon route plan help < Previous Next >

Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 1:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have 5 days and would like to try and run Sturgeon from Gervais access to Kellys crossover area back to car on south Kukagami L. How many days average on river to Kellys? Looking at ottertooth site maps looks like an easy 2 days from there back to Sportsman lodge. Any help on time estimate or water levels would be appreciated. Going next week.
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 25

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

My brother and I ran the Sturgeon the last week in June this year from Kettle Falls to the Rawson crossover. The water levels were high enough to run every rapid that wasn't a falls. It took us a day and three hours a second day to complete the above section (however the first day was a long one).

Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Water levels are here: http://www.wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/graph/graph_e.html ?stn=02DC012
It's kind of scratchy now, but doable. Some wading definitely will be required next week unless serious rains are coming.

3 days from Gervais to Kelly's is not easy. My experience (solo, double-carry on portages) it's about 6 hours from Gervais to Kettle falls; 11-12 hours from Kettle to Pilgrim triangle; then may be 4 hours to Upper Goose falls; another 9-10 hours to Kelly's. 2 days from Kelly's to Sportsman's should be easy, it's doable in 1 day, weather permitting. If I were taking this trip I'd spend 4 days out of 5 on the Sturgeon.
 Link to this message

msobel

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 9:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

zed where did you access the Sturgeon for your June trip? The river sounds like it will take us a bit longer than I guessed and even though I don't mind 10 hr paddle days I'd rather not do it every day. Looks like water levels are about 35 cm lower then end of June. Now I'm thinking I can save time getting off river past triangle via Parsons and working my way back to Sportsman's that way instead of continuing to Rawson or Kellys. Any thoughts on this saving me time? Are the Goose falls and beyond 'must see' areas??
 Link to this message

zed

Post Number: 26

Posted on Friday, July 25, 2014 - 8:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did a loop trip starting and ending at Matagamasi Lake but this trip took us 7 days. We used the Back Door route into Kettle Falls. In my opinion the best part of the Sturgeon is from the Gervais road access to the Rawson crossover.

If you are ok with long days the Rawson crossover from the Sturgeon to Matagamasi landing could be done in 2 days.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home