Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Manitou Lake - Obabika Lake - Sturgeon loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

popsch

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 1:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

Can someone give me feedback on this suggested route:

Manitou Lake - Obabika Lake - Obabika River - Sturgeon - Wawiashkashi Lake

How difficult is the Sturgeon at the moment? Can we do this trip easily in 6 days? Is there parking near Manitou Lake?
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 52

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 1:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I answered elsewhere, but since that thread isn't visible I duplicate it here:
On the Sturgeon you will face one easy portage around Lower Goose falls and couple of short class 1/1+ rapids after that. There's a campsite at Kelly's farm portage, just before the end of your Sturgeon leg, and of course lots of space by Lower Goose falls, not sure about other campsites on the river.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 1:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am familiar with this route except for the part from Manitou to Obabika via Emerald, so can't comment on that part.
The Emerald Lake Road provides access to Wawiashkashi Lake where there are multiple cabins/trailers at the NE end and parking should be possible by arrangement or on site (bring a 6-pack to smooth things over-no, make that a 12...).
There is also a lodge on Manitou or at least there used to be. Look for the Devil's face, it's quite remarkable.
If parking cannot be arranged in advance or on site, or if you are unsure about it, you could start at Central Temagami Access and go by way of Gull/Turtleshell to Manitou and return via Wawiagama/Obabika to L. Temagami.
In any case 6 days would be enough.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1637

Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Lots of people and boats on Emerald and Manitou, with a long walk between the two lakes on an active road.
 Link to this message

popsch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 6:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the replies. According to this, one can park between Manitou Lake and Wawiashkashi Lake:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Wilson/Route1/g ull.htm

The question is now what they mean by 'parking along road' and for how long one can park there.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually that is P for Portage (1250 yds along the road).
As I said there MAY be a possibility of parking at the Wawiashkashi end of that road/portage.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1638

Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 9:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is private property on Grassy at the portage landing. It is a kind of private trailer park. You may get permission to park there. But there may be "pullouts" or treeless spots on the nearby road on Crown land where you might leave your vehicle.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home