Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through May 20, 2015 * Temagami River levels very high < Previous Next >

Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 480

Posted on Wednesday, August 6, 2014 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Was camping with the family at our favourite spot on Island Lake. Because of an overabundance of TP flowers on our usual tent site (there's a thunder box there, folks!), we opted to set up our tent on the beach. Island Lake has 2 dams regulating inflow from Red Cedar Lake, but nothing regulating outflow to the Temagami River. Water levels were usual for this time of year, about 15-20 feet of exposed beach. When we awoke in the morning, the beach had shrunk by about 5 feet. I put a stick in the sand at the waterline and discovered that the levels were still rising. WE paddled down the lake to the first falls at Ed Reeb's cabin. The river was rocking there, higher than I've ever seen it. We returned to our campsite, and the waves were lapping at our tent, so we moved inland for the second night. On the morning of day 3, water levels were still rising and the beach was almost gone. I estimate that lake water levels had risen 2 feet in the 3 days we were there. We're going back Friday for a day trip and will see what has happened.

Bottom line is that if you want to run the Temagami with spring flood levels and summertime temperatures, go for it. I have no idea why the upstream dams were opened. Can anyone comment on levels in Lake Temagami?
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 68

Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Curly

We were at our cottage same time you were on the island. Water levels were high that week which makes it hard for fishing. River levels below are high and provide good river running.

My girlfriend and are heading back this Thursday to Monday so if you are around drop by the cottage it's the cottage in the bay behind the island on the sandy beach. As you are heading to it first on the left. Nearer the creek. Feel free to drop by for a beer and I will share 47 years of experience on this lake. My favorite place in the world.

Big wolf

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home