Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * Useable campsite on Melanson Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

rstaver

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2014 - 9:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

For those making the Hamlow to Solace Crossover, there is now a useable campsite on Melanson Lake. Last year, my brother and I made a 105 mile trip starting at the Montreal R. on Beauty Lake Rd., going south through Lady Dufferin, Smoothwater, McCullough, Mihell, Scarecrow, etc., until we reached Hamlow. From there, we commenced the Hamlow - Solace crossover. On Melanson Lake (traveling from west to east) we found the barely recognizable remnant of a fire ring on the northeast tip of the first peninsula protruding up into the lake from its southern side. The peninsula is flattened out in appearance on the map. We were hard pressed for a campsite with night approaching. We spent about 40 minutes clearing brush and were able to establish a fairly comfortable campsite with space for two tents. We also rebuilt the fire ring, which is nearly right next to the lake shore. The position is N47 15.031 W80 44.530. A resident beaver, evidently upset that we located in his domain overnight, came to within about 25 feet of shore and persistently slapped his tail on the water about 4-5 times.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, September 8, 2014 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks rstaver, that is definitely info that will be useful to a lot of people. I noticed from the maps that there were no campsites on that route, which made it seem less appealing as you would have to start and finish the same day (a long day!), instead of being able to split it up depending where you end up the previous day.
I like the fact that it's a rediscovered old campsite rather than just a bushed one.
So what is Melanson like? Can you swim at or near the campsite?
 Link to this message

rstaver

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 5, 2015 - 9:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry, it's been so long since I visited the site. This year, I took a trip down the Upper French, so haven't been in Temagami for a couple years. Melanson was wierd in terms of water quality. It had a lot of algae and its water was sort of off color. It tasted all right after filtration though. Didn't really look that inviting to swim in.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home