Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * Sanity check Florence to Ferguson Bay < Previous Next >

Link to this message

huron

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Planning a trip next week fly-in to Florence and out at Ferguson Bay. My tripping companion has a tight schedule so can only do a 5 day (including driving from SW Ont -- so 3 full days out).

We were debating between the Misabi Range (nights: Florence>Pinetorch>Dorothy>Diamond>out) or the Lady Evelyn River. Our preference is the Misabi Range lakes as I have done two trips previously up on Lady Evelyn Lake.

We are in our mid 20s in good shape and typically single or 1.5 trip our portages. Don't mind doing 8 hour days. Just a bit cautious as to timing on the creeks with potentially low water. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1285

Posted on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

To go from Florence to Ferguson Bay in 3 days via Pinetorch CR would be pushing it.
Day 1: Florence to Lake 14 via Lewbert Crossover is 10+ portages.
Skooztagen south of Florence may have low water.
Day 2 : Lake 14 to Wakimika or through to Diamond also a long day with 8 -9 portages, including some long arduous ones out of Hortense towards Wakimika.
Day 3: to Ferguson Bay is long on distance, but with only 2-3 portages.
 Link to this message

huron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2014 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed. We would actually spend 1 more day in Pinetorch than you noted. (5d/4n) So would be:

1. Land and camp on Florence
2. Pinetorch
3. Dorothy/Sylvester
4. Diamond
5. out 3pm

Does that change your view?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1286

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The extra day makes it look better.
 Link to this message

eriktheviking

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, September 1, 2014 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did this trip for our honeymoon the first week of august. Pinetorch to dorothy/sylvester is very ambitious.
 Link to this message

huron

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, September 1, 2014 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Erik, which part causes the most delays there? When drafting route only thought could be a 6 hour day but if Nasmith is really slow I guess that could take much longer.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1287

Posted on Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Huron: I haven't been to Temagami this summer, so I am not sure what the water levels are like this year. Typically they are low in September. Having said that, Nasmith Creek should be bolstered with beaver dams that will keep the levels up for a good distance down to Dorothy.You may have to get out and walk your canoe in some places.
You have selected a route that will require you to do a pile of portaging to make it work for you.
If you are travelling really light you may be able to do it.But you will have a couple of very long arduous days.
 Link to this message

eriktheviking

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did more walking down nasmith creek than paddling. I don't know your skill level or fitness level but I will assume both are adequate. As Ed mentioned, there are A LOT of portages. Pintetorch Lake to Chapin is uphill, Chapin to Nasmith Creek has some very steep sections. The biggest delay is caused by the constant in and out. I must add that we do like some luxury items and good food; thus we opted to double carry the portages and our longest day of travel did not exceed 9 hrs. We spent nights as follows: Florence, Pine (joshaua), Chapin, Hortense , Hortense, Wakimika, Diamond.
Hope this helps
 Link to this message

huron

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, agreed Pinetorch>Dorothy probably optimistic. We are now thinking the LER route better on our time frame with more paddling but less than half the portage distance. Pinetorch will have to wait until next year!
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, September 8, 2014 - 9:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You could go down North Channel and over the liftover into Diamond and across Sharp Rock to Ferguson Bay
 Link to this message

huron

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, September 9, 2014 - 3:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We did the following nights: (1) Florence (2) LER fork above MacPherson (3) Helen Falls (4) Diamond (5) paddle out to Ferguson for 1pm. None of the shortcuts.

Days 3 and 4 were strenuous but reasonable. Portages were thankfully dry. We didn't see anyone until past Frank Falls where there were four motorboats in the channel.

Would have been nice to have a few more days out (of course). We enjoyed the change of pace from the bigger lakes quite a bit.
 Link to this message

canoeguitar

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 7:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

How was the river downstream from MacPherson? I'll be paddling in Temagami soon, and the LER is one option. I've paddled the LER four times, though always in September and during average to below average water. Usually a fair bit of wading and scraping later in the season, though I suspect the water is up right now.

(Message edited by canoeguitar on September 13, 2014)
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 243

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2014 - 8:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I flew over LER and upper Sturgeon yesterday, spring like conditions!
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just back from Temagami - Sandy Inlet - Diamond - Lady Evelyn - Willow Island - Sucker Gut - Tupper- Chris Willis - LER - SLER - Diamond - Sandy Inlet. Water is about 6-8" below the highest water mark - lots of water and more falling every day!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1650

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 9:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

2014 was the year of the Temagami Rainforest.
 Link to this message

huron

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

canoeguitar -- sorry for the delay -- I can't compare to previous years but I suspect there is plenty of water. We waded through a few rapids but only the marked ones.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home