Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * Hap Route number 5 < Previous Next >

Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, December 1, 2014 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thinking about this for a June Trip, anybody done it? how are the campsites and portages?? Hows the fishing???? Thanks scott
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1660

Posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 - 9:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would be concerned about the condition of the portages between Jumping Cariboo, Red Cedar and Wasaks. But haven't been the there in years so can't help. This is not a major canoe route, so more likely anglers would know.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 481

Posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Where is route 5? I was on the portages between Jumping Cariboo and Hangstone via Norris about 2 years ago and they were fine.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ladies and gentlemen,
This is Route No. 5!

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, December 4, 2014 - 1:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

This was covered several years back:
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/27124. html
The portages were well used but could be difficult to pick up again after road sections.
Very nice route, not sure why it isn't more popular!
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, December 6, 2014 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was through there about 10 (?) yrs ago. It was as grncnu says. I recall some very nice areas, and some campsite and portages were suffering the effects of motorized usage. Camping close to Hwy one night didn't bug as much as I thought it would, probably because I was solo. There was cell coverage over most of the area at the time. I'm curious to find out what it's like today and I would do the route again.

I used the Camp in Marten River, (name?) to leave vehicle and arrange shuttle. Very nice people!

I stayed a night at the Pine Rock as well - a great meal and a nice bed is an awesome way to end a trip.

Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, December 6, 2014 - 7:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah, we stayed away from this route for years because we were worried about the highway, but camping on Jumping Cariboo (excellent campsite) was actually fine. At night the highway sound was strangely soothing.
 Link to this message

dupuisn

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We have a cottage on Brophy lake. Access between lakes Jumping Caribou to Ingalls to Waha to Brophy are no problem at all. Sometimes a beaver damn makes it difficult to pass under the bridge between Waha and Brophy but you can portage across the road.
From Brophy to Wasaksina can be more difficult depending on water levels. One year we paddle right through. Two years ago,we fought bog. In my experience that will be your most challenging portage. If you take portage from Cross alike to Wasaksina it is long and steep at the end but not as difficult as the one mentioned above. You should have no problem finding decent campsites as well. A few are definitely less used then others. Enjoy!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home