Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * First timer to Temagami < Previous Next >

Link to this message

canoerook

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi....Going to Temagami for the first time this summer. There will be four of us, two experienced paddlers and two novices. Looking for suggestions for a two night trip that will involve some portaging, but not too much o
r I will never get my brother to go on another trip. Would prefer the Western edge of the park. Thanks for your advice.
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 57

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

One of popular routes in the S-W Temagami is Matagamasi lake to Wolf and further to Chiniguchi lake. Portages are short, campsites good, lakes beautiful, there's a waterfall in Paradise lagoon and viewpoints on Wolf and Chiniguchi (though no trails). It's not a loop, unless you include Marjorie or Laura lake routes that are longer and have more difficult portaging. One-way Matagamasi to Wolf, weather permitting, is about 5+ hours; Wolf to Chiniguchi is slightly shorter. In July-August there's lots of canoe traffic and getting a campsite could be an issue.
There's very good maps here on Ottertooth of this area (and many others): http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini6.htm
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good suggestion, or for an easy loop trip you could go Matagamasi-Kukagami-(Donald)-Maskinonge-Matagamasi . Not as remote as the above, but plenty of campsites and very pretty. Pictographs at the narrows on Matagamasi.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini8.ht m
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 6, 2015 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Three buddies and I started in maskinonge and went north through Edna and Karl, great campsite at the other end of Karl. On day 2 we came around into Donald and camped on an island. The final day we returned to maskinonge through the rock cut on the south end of donald. It was a fantastic trip for 4 rookies. We go up to Karl every year now and stay for 4 days.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home