Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * Loop from twinkle? clearing the way? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 9, 2015 - 6:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone!

It might be my winter blues kicking in making me deleusional but here's what I'm thinking for late spring.

I would like to access at twinkle lake then do a loop from there... I managed to get up that way last year but had someone drop/pick us up at the boat launch at yorston.

This year I'm thinking about going up in the spring and possibly work at clearing some branches to allow better access to twinkle...

Any thoughts on this? Advice? I've never cleared a portage/ road before but figure if I want to be more involved in the backcounrty canoeing comunity this could be somewhere to start?

Anything I should be aware of before I go ripping down the road with a chainsaw?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1675

Posted on Monday, March 9, 2015 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That would be a great service to clear that access. The greatest issue may be logging or construction vehicles on that road.
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi neotericpilgrim,

I'm just wondering if the bridge at the Obabika river has been repaired. I'd like to use Twinkle as an access point as well, but was under the impression that the bridge was out - of course, that was in 2013.

Any info would be appreciated.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1305

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 8:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Go here for Bridge info:
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/140516 .html?1420641225

Look at pics near bottom of thread and note date of picture for latest info:
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 2:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed,

I don't know how I missed that. The information is appreciated.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1306

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 6:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Neoteric... it is possible that the route you are thinking about working on will soon become redundant.
Forestry operations are progressing north from the Obabika River crossing and past the crossover to Yorston River on their way to Twinkle. But the current Forest Management Plan (FMP) for Sudbury indicates that the existing route to Twinkle will become redundant and the upgraded logging road will not go to the east side of Twinkle as it does presently, but rather it will go south of Twinkle and cross Pinetorch Creek west of Twinkle on it's way towards Talking Falls. If that happens the access point to Linger etc. will be on the west side of Twinkle a bit south of where Pinetorch joins with Ames Creek.
To see all of this you need to go to the Sudbury FMP on the MNRF Forestry website and look at the large scale Annual Forestry Operations Maps that are shown on that website.
The area you need to look at is shown on this Ottertooth map:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 1.htm

Look for the 200m portage just west of Twinkle to see where the road is supposed to go. The road will cross Pinetorch Creek at the top of the loop north of that portage. That will likely become the new put in for canoeists wanting to travel to Linger and on to Seagram or Yorston Lakes.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1681

Posted on Sunday, May 3, 2015 - 9:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed is right that the road will extend past Twinkle, but not this year.
 Link to this message

neotericpilgrim

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi guys I guess I won't be working on this as planned... Kinda saddens me in a way... As a newer member of the canoeing comunity I was sure this could be my way of giving back...

As you can see by my newer post I've decided to explore the north end of the lake this year but had planned another trip to the east end for september. I still have a lot of learning left to do... Let's hope this site and the people don't go anywhere just yet haha

Thanks everyone that's helped me!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home