Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * Wasaksina Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ratherbecamping

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, March 9, 2015 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are trying to plan a may 24 trip in the temagami area. We will be bringing our 10-yr old son and I will be about 7-mths pregnant so we are not looking for anything too strenuous. We would like it to be remote and characteristic of the temagami area as it will be our sons first trip in temagami.

Does anyone have any info on the Wasaksina Lake area? Is it nice? How are the portages?

We are thinking of doing the following route over 4-5 days and want to take it fairly easy (10ish km per day).

Iceland Lake-Driftwood Lake-Wasaksina Lake-Cross Lake-Willis Lake-Shiningwood Bay-Olier Lake-Denedus Lake-then back up through Wasaksina-Driftwood-Iceland.

Any info would be appreciated!
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, March 9, 2015 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I love Olier and Denedus Lakes. I've had lots of luck fishing there. They give you the feeling of being remote, without being too far from Temagami. Since you will be going so early in the season, you should not come across too many other folks. Portages are not bad.
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, March 9, 2015 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Also, I don't know if you are trying to avoid Lake Temagami as much as possible, but one thing that might cut out some travel time would be to park at the Manitou Landing, and go Shinigwood Bay, Olier, Denedus, Wassacks, Cross, and back up to the landing. Or do the reverse and start by going down to cross. I give you mega props by the way, for canoeing while 7 months pregnant! If I were you, I would sit mojo and make the husband and son do all the paddling. Lol.
 Link to this message

ratherbecamping

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info! I am hoping the ice is out before the long weekend so we can still do this trip! I wouldn't give me mega props yet for doing it pregnant lol I don't know how well I will do! But so far so good...I still feel pretty functional so I think I will do just fine

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home