Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through October 17, 2015 * Matagamasi to Donald Loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

janik

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm planning a three night mid May trip with a group of students in the Chiniguchi area.
Day 1: drive to Matagamasi (arrive around noon) and travel towards McCarthy Bay
Day 2: travel to Donald through Gold and Colin Scott Lakes
Day 3: travel to Upper Kukagami
Day 4: travel to Matagamasi access through Doon Lake or to Sportsman's Lodge

I have a few questions:
1 - Are there any recommended campsites on this route for a group of ten to 12 ?
2 - How are the portages into and out of Donald in terms of difficulty (I know about the steep hill from Colin Scott to Donald) ?
3 - In what condition is the Doon Lake to Matagamasi portage and how much time would it take from Upper Kukagami back to access on Matagamasi ?
4 - Is there cell phone service in this area ?
Thanks
 Link to this message

eddy_turn

Post Number: 60

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 1:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Janik,
All portages from Matagamasi to Donald, Kukagami and Doon back to Matagamasi are not difficult and were in very good shape as of last September. The hill from Colin Scott is short and not too difficult unless it's slippery.

As for campsites, if memory serves me well, which is not always the case, 3 southern sites on McCarthy and most Donald sites are pretty big. Also island campsite on Upper Kukagami.

Upper Kukagami to Matagamasi access is about 4-5 hours, double-carry.

I won't rely on cell phones in this area. You might get signal at Sportsmans if you go to the top of the highest lodge there - or you might not.
 Link to this message

janik

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 1:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info eddy_turn. Very much appreciated.
How safe is it to park at Matagamasi access ? Is there any danger of getting vehicles vandalized if I leave one there for the week or should I just park them all at Sportsmans Lodge ?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1302

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2015 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have left vehicles at the Matagamasi landing at times without incident.There are cottages in the immediate area, so there are some people around. I have also used the shuttle service offered by Sportsmans Lodge. He does charge for parking.

You should look at this page in case you haven't already done so:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chini3.ht m
 Link to this message

hahny

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portage from McCarthy Bay into Gold is the hardest one. Gold to Collin Scott and Collin Scott into Donald is like a highway. Make sure you check out the rock and the end of the portage into Donald. Some names engraved from the 1950's. There is an island with a cedar toilet and plenty of space on Donald. I don't know about the rest of your trip, we always start at Roly Jonas' camp on Maskinonge.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 30

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Parking at Matagamasi Landing? We had the same uncertainty last year when planning where to park and launch for a trip in Chiniguchi area. We ended up parking at Matagamasi Landing for 7 days without incident. Just find a spot off the road, away from the launching area and don't block any driveways etc. We arrived mid week in July and avoided the days around weekends or holidays. See this post.

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/140432 .html?1407249949
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 1303

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 3:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the link Jonebgood
I had completely forgotten about that post and I was away when your posted your trip return comment in August.

Link to this message

janik

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone for all the info. Trip was great, although wet and cold for the first two days. We were surprised to meet another school group from Sudbury doing the same loop in the opposite direction. We did park at Sportsman's Lodge and use their shuttle service, thanks for the advice. Maps and info from Ottertooth are amazingly precise for this region. Thank you all.
 Link to this message

campheiden

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, July 6, 2015 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Question: is there much bear or moose activity in Chiniguchi Canoe Area?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home